Skip to main content
Topic: first TC (Read 3444 times) previous topic - next topic

first TC

Reply #15
[url]h
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

first TC

Reply #16
Mid-year 85 was the start of browntop use on 2.3Turbo, along for the use of a big VAM on the TC.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

first TC

Reply #17
The 86 TC I stripped sure looked like it had green tops and a small Vam on it

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

first TC

Reply #18
Couple of things to note....There was no 83 turbo coupe (or any turbo ford for that matter) automatic.  So if your ride has an auto...its probably an 84.  The C3 is not strong.  Although I did get 14 flat @ 97 mph back in 2003 on 20psi and a GN intercooler.  So once you start to warm the car up....bye bye tranny.  There is no performance parts available.

Your car will already have a T3.  Get the 35lb injectors, some sort of 87-88 Turbo Coupe ecu, and big VAM.  Do the rewiring.  I would get the exhaust, big fuel pump, gillis, tune the car for the before mentioned 18psi and enjoy it.  If you get all that done and run a low 14 at the track you are heading in the right direction.  If not....you will need to fix some problems.

Good luck,

Travis

P.S.  The top 25 fastest TC on NATO will give you some good ideas.  http://www.turbotbird.com/toptcs/

first TC

Reply #19
Quote from: fordguy545;373365
The 86 TC I stripped sure looked like it had green tops and a small Vam on it

You are correct on the VAM. Small VAM-35#er's from mid-year 85 thru 86.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

first TC

Reply #20
Very c
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

first TC

Reply #21
My gut feeling, and that's all it is, is they changed over to the browntops at the same time as they phased out the inline intake and went to the "four square" style.

first TC

Reply #22
1986-88 Ford turboCoupe    Peak and Hold    35lb/hr Brown Top 87-88
30lb/hr Green Top 86

Found this on the web. But if memory serves me i think i did see an  85 at Carlisle that had brown tops. I thought the guy changed them out. Once again the Mistery of the 2.3 lives on!!!!?????

first TC

Reply #23
Per the '86 Shop Emissions Manual, '83 & '84 Green, '85 & '86 Brown... No mention of the 85.5, but it does have info for the 85.5 1.9L...

first TC

Reply #24

first TC

Reply #25
i'm so freaking confused!!!!!

sure does seem like it would be easier to drop a v8 in it and be done...

first TC

Reply #26
Just to add a data point,  I have a mid year '85 and it has the brown tops.  Not sure about the vam though, is there an easy way to tell if its the big one? (i.e.part number),  and I will have to look on the door for the build date.  I did buy the car from the original owner who was a mid 50's yr old woman.  She was a secretary at a Ford dealer, and all work was done by that dealership.

first TC

Reply #27
Ford

first TC

Reply #28
let me ask this,  since I have the brown top injectors,  does that automatically mean I have the big vam? if not and I got a big vam, could i just plug it?

first TC

Reply #29
just checked the build date on my car,  it was 3/85,  i thought it was later.  hmmm...