Skip to main content
Topic: Lets Start Modding This Turbo Coupe!!! (Read 1077 times) previous topic - next topic

Lets Start Modding This Turbo Coupe!!!

I know i've posted this twice but Im hoping to order my DP today after hearing yalls thoughts.:bowdown:

Ok Im looking to get started on some mods on this car. Everyone does things their own way and my way is to get the motor to a power level I can live with till I finish the rest. :)

Ok so here is the order I want to do things but I want yalls thoughts on this and help if you will.

1. I want to upgrade this exhaust. Im thinking a single turbo back 3in exhaust but Im not sure on how to go about it. I would say I need to order a 3in downpipe and have my ler guy go from there.

I would think since back pressure is the devil of a turbo that a strait 3in pipe to the back of the car would be the best way to go. But I dont want probs not being able to hear myself think. With all that said Im thinking 3in DP then 3in pipe with no cat to a 3in ler and dumped beside the trunk.

Main thing I want is flow and the second thing I want is to clearly hear that turbo whisle. :D

2. Is a Front Mount Intercooler, Blow Off Valve, and an Elctronic Boost Controller. I want to take the boost to around 16-18psi. From what I understand my car being a 87 means it has a tiny turbo on it and 18psi is the highest "safe" psi I should run.

3. Is I want to get and install the 1.9 Bo-Port Cam Kit. I want this cam because it looks like a great cam and to e honest I want a loppy motor that just sounds means. What I need to know here is if I can run this cam without having a tuning system and running on the stock computer system.

4. I want to get me a Moates burner and whatever system I need to run it to start playing with the tunning of my car. I've always wanted to learn this stuff and I know I can use it to make more power when I do upgrades and such. What all do I need to start this?

5. Its time to upgrade the fuel system with a 255 pump and a FPR.

6. I want to upgrade the turbo to a T3/T4 unit and take the boost up. Not alot but I want the 300hp range. I dont know that these motors are capable of in stock form. I still have a ton to learn...

Im hoping to have all this stuff done in this order by Feb-Mar and then I'll start on the susp. :)

Reply #1
1) 3 inch all the way back. Personally, I would take it all the way back and exit under/past the bumper to keep exhaust noise out of the car.
2) Front mount, good idea. Blow off valve, not really. You need a bypass valve that dumps the air back in ahead of the turbo. VAM/MAF equipped cars will spike rich when a BOV is  used.
3) Perfectly acceptable to use that kit with no tuning system. I would highly recommend a wideband and an ajustable fuel pressure regulator to allow you to monitor what's going on with the mixture, and make SMALL adjustments through fuel pressure until you upgrade to a tuning system of somesort.
4) Check the Moates site and see what they recommend.
5) Yes.
6) A T3/T4 hypbird of some sort will certainly get you to that power level and them some. However, that's pretty much the limit for the stock 35# injectors. You'll need larger injectors and a way to tune for power past that level. Also, soon after that, the stock Vane Air Meter will start to be a limitation. You'll need to decide on a solution for that, whether it be a MAF conversion, or just stepping up to a stand alone such as megasquirt or the Stinger PIMP setup.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #2
You Sir are GREATNESS!!!!

Reply #3
Not really, I just try to share what little I know in a gracious manner.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #4
I would recommend the Moates Quarterhorse for the emulation tuning and datalogging.  When you get there.