Skip to main content
Topic: brake proport. valve question (Read 1667 times) previous topic - next topic

brake proport. valve question

Reply #1
It will probably bolt on.  Whether or not you should use it is another question entirely. 

What are you trying to do?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
according to the page on coolcats... many people have been able to use the valves that were on other cars with rear disk brakes, but the proprtion is factory set. I'm assuming for the car it was designed for. so in theory it should work,, but maybe not as well as an adjustable depending on how you would like your brakes.... I'm also trying to learn this brake stuff too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
What are you leaning towards doing?

If a stock TC valve will bolt right in, Ill prob do that.  If it needs fittings, I may just bolt in a adjustable valve on the passenger side engine bay ?????
Mike

Reply #4
I'm gutting my old one  and getting an adjustable valve, and I'm thinking I'm going to need to find the best setting with everything I put into the car. I want this thing to stop on a dime once I get it moving....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
mcb82gt,

What are you doing, precisely?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Quote from: t3skidoo;367586
mcb82gt,

What are you doing, precisely?

I just put in a 88TC 8.8.  Trying to decide how I want to set up the rear bias.  Easiest/cheapest possible.

Front brakes are 87+ 11" already.  Stock MC and prop valve.
Mike

Reply #7
If you're installing a complete braking system from a TC into your Cat, then the factory prop valve from that year TC would probably work. 

When I checked your link, there was an ad on the same page for a Motorsport adj prop valve.  If the "new" factory prop valve didn't work, then you would gut it, plug it, and add the FMS (or similar) adj prop valve as described on the CoolCat page Eric posted in daminc's thread.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Quote from: t3skidoo;367636
If you're installing a complete braking system from a TC into your Cat, then the factory prop valve from that year TC would probably work. 

Has anyone done this?  I want to know if they needed any adapters for the lines, or just screwed into the TC valve?
Mike