Skip to main content
Topic: My bone stock 1983 Heritage lives again......... (Read 18659 times) previous topic - next topic

My bone stock 1983 Heritage lives again.........

Getting ready to get the car out of storage so i can work on her again. I need a new project since i sold the Torino Convertible.  The first picture many of you have seen is from 1987 when i first bought the car with 27,000 miles on her.
The rest show her in its present state, no mods of any kind, a true time capsule.

Enjoy!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
Looks like a fun project.  Especially sense you have a 20 + year history with the car.  I'll bet you hated to see the Torino go....That is a sweet ride. I once had a 68 Fairlane 500 rag top but it turned out to be a rust bucket...I had to call uncle on that one.  It was too far gone.  Kinda funny - I saw it again at the local U-Pill it 3 years after I sold it...I guess the next guy came to the same conclusion.  I sold it as a parts car & lost my a$$ on that one...You live & learn I guess.

Good luck with the bird. I'm sure you will enjoy it again.

Reply #2
Quote from: sloppyjoe;366331
Looks like a fun project.  Especially sense you have a 20 + year history with the car.  I'll bet you hated to see the Torino go....That is a sweet ride. I once had a 68 Fairlane 500 rag top but it turned out to be a rust bucket...I had to call uncle on that one.  It was too far gone.  Kinda funny - I saw it again at the local U-Pill it 3 years after I sold it...I guess the next guy came to the same conclusion.  I sold it as a parts car & lost my a$$ on that one...You live & learn I guess.

Thanks for the encouraging words.......i will miss the Torino for sure, but the T-Bird has a special significance for me...i grew up with that car, dated my wife, many adventures, road trips etc....

Reply #3
Good luck with bringing the bird back, the Torino was sweet, but the bird can be just as sweet, especially since you've owned it most of its life.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #4
No real rust? I actually like how the 83-84 interiors are. Hate that steering wheel. Same one as my wagon.

Ditch the trx rims. Talk about money with those tires.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
What are the plans for this?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #6
I plan to keep the car as stock as possible as these are becoming more rare in original unmolested condition.  The only cosmetic non-stock item will be some 5.0 call outs on the fenders, i always liked them.  As for engine mods, when the block is rebuilt i will do some mild upgrades, but it will maintain its stock appearance.  The dash pad, headliner and carpet all need to be redone, the back seats are perfect, no cracks in the leather, and i have a mint pair of Leather front seats that i bought off ebay 5 years ago for 75 shipped to replace the cracking old ones on there now.  I am keeping the TRX wheels too even though the tires are a fortune to run. I like them alot and you just dont see them that much anymore.......

Reply #7
I am digging the 1987 fashion you have going on in that old picture.  Good stuff.  Also, that is a nice Ebay deal for replacement front seats.  Look forward to seeing the progress.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Hehe, you're on AFF :P

great to see it getting some lovin
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #9
Quote from: sloppyjoe;366331

There's no such thing as to far gone in my book...... It just needed some extra lovin, ,that's all
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
Looks like it's going to be a real nice project...I know you been collecting stuff for a while now..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Don't go too nuts with the engine upgrades. The EEC-III system will freak out.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
Quote from: daminc;366456
Looks like it's going to be a real nice project...I know you been collecting stuff for a while now..

Indeed, I have Jerry...i have some nice NOS goodies for the project.

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;366490
Don't go too nuts with the engine upgrades. The EEC-III system will freak out.

I am not going nuts, just some mild mods, nothing to wild.....

Reply #14
So i was wondering what you guys think of a few light mods to the car as i really want to keep the originality as much as possible as its a true survivor car.
1.Dual Exhausts
2.Some internal engine mods (some port work, new cam , stronger valve springs.. maybe an aftermarket, stock appearing coil to boost the spark a little)
3. 5.0 fender call outs ( I always liked the looks of these)
Im curious what all of your thoughts are.....