Skip to main content
Topic: Chevy Truck/Suburban Forum Suggestions? (Read 1146 times) previous topic - next topic

Chevy Truck/Suburban Forum Suggestions?

My mom's got an old '92 Chevy Suburban (C1500 Silverado). The poor old thing hardly gets driven at all for many years now, and has quite a few little problems (needs new master cylinder, a resistor for A/C fan, engine coolant temp gauge not working, and of course various interior and exterior trim and appearance items), and one big one (transmission slips...don't know right now if it would just need new fluid or a rebuild).

We're thinking of selling it, but I'd like to address some of it's problems first.

So...I'm looking for any forums that might be a really good source of information. Just a quick search on the topic revealed a LOT a different forums out there.

Any of them better than the others? Anyone have a favorite?

Reply #1
Well, I drove it to a local transmission shop yesterday for an opinion...and the opinion was that it was 2 1/2 quarts low on fluid! I was/am embarrassed that I had not checked that myself first. I was just going on something my mom had been told a very long time ago about it from the auto shop we use...that it required work and she should just "drive it till it quits." Hmmm.....  Well it seems to be completely improved - no slipping/shuddering in any gear, including overdrive.

$15 of fluid added and that is fixed. Yay! Now onto another project...

Reply #2
Well, I figured lots of y'all would also have some GM trucks among your collection of vehicles and would have forum suggestions for me... I've settled on GMTruckClub.com to be my go-to for the Suburban.

It's already helped me out with locating the blower motor resistor (Haynes manual was no help.) Now I've got all 3 fan speeds back.

A neighbor helped me out with his A/C guages and hoses, and I was able to recharge the A/C with some fresh refrigerant with some leak seal included. Now it's blowing cold again. :D Yay!

Next: the engine temperature gauge. It stays at far LEFT while driving. All the other gauges are good. I'm hoping it's just a sensor, and not a problem with the gauge or some other wiring. That would be bad for me. Stupid O'Reilly's sold me the wrong sensor yesterday though, so 'll have to go back today. The size/shape was so close I thought it was the right one in the store. It's hard to compare them up close because as soon as you remove it from the block, coolant starts pouring out!

Reply #3
Gm trucks com, is pretty good.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
Quote from: Kitz Kat;364656
Gm trucks com, is pretty good.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/

Thanks. I'll check that one out too.

Good news on the temp. sensor. Took the one I bought yesterday back as it did not fit my plug. They checked again, and the one I need is not the one listed in their system. While the gentleman helping me went to the back to check with some knowledgable folk who lurk there, I started digging through the box of sensors he had gotten down. Found one that looked like mine. Decided to try it out. Guy looked it up, and it is listed as being used by GM from 1990-2002. Guess what? It works! Just switched it out with my original old one, and the temp. gauge in the cluster has been climbing as it is idling out on the driveway right now. Yay! And it was about $3.00 less than the one I bought yesterday so I got money back. Sort-of covers my gas for the second trip, I guess!:hick:

Next project: Headliner ;)

Reply #5
I use FSC forums (Full Size Chevy)...but those GM truck guys are wierd with their terminology.  Instead of saying Generation X or 88-97, etc they say NBS, NNBS.  Kinda confusing when body styles are always changing.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #6
I've used 454ss.com with good results
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em