Skip to main content
Topic: Heart Transplant (Read 4477 times) previous topic - next topic

Heart Transplant

The motor in my TC finally quit on me. I pulled it from a 164K mile donor, and after nearly ten years of my abuse, it all ended like this:

Leading the points in my class, and not wanting to miss too many events, I decided to grab a complete engine off CraigsList and use the whole bottom end vs. building one up right now.

As things typically go for my projects, I snowballed from there. Using my stock head plus a drop-in cam turned into finding a decent buy a ported head and adding a slightly bigger cam

I snagged a windage tray off ebay for $45 and added some baffles to the sump of the pan

I am also gonna give the new setup a Dupont overhaul, and change up the colors vs. the old motor

I am gonna work on gettin the head/cam setup this weekend, and hope to have the engine mostly assembled Sunday night. There will be a few tweaks needed once the engine is back in the car. SuperCoupe throttle body is gonna get added on, MAF swap is gonna get completed.
I have a date with the dyno for the last weekend in July, so its time to get stuff done.

RIP lil motor; you served me well
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Heart Transplant

Reply #1
Carnage is always worth seeing! 

Glad to hear the plan is to have it together in a couple weeks.  W/MAF alone the power band would have been dramatically different.  With the head, cam and fresher short block, you may have some oversteer issues again... great problem to have!

Heart Transplant

Reply #2
Before, the VAM and stock head were my limiting factors in power production. With those both out of the picture, my 46lb injectors are gonna be the next hurdle. However, there is also the issue of reliably turning that up/down thrust into rotational motion. I dont think this, or any other, stock shortblock would live very long at the power level potential after an injector upgrade.

Once this is up and running, and we find a comfortable level of operation, I hope it will live long enough for me to build a decent shortblock to put under these good parts. Oversteer be ed! :burnout:

Heart Transplant

Reply #3
Glad to see the progress.:banana:

Hope to see it back on the road soon!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Heart Transplant

Reply #4
Not much for progress today, mostly frustration. Trying to set up the geometry on this cam, looks like I am in need of some offset valve locks to move the retainers away from the followers. Not gonna find those on Sunday....

I did get my upper intake modded for the SC TB lastnight at least

Heart Transplant

Reply #5
Looks like it is coming together

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Heart Transplant

Reply #6
Round2 for settin up the head is tonight!
Guy dropped the ball twice gettin me the offset valve locks I needed. I called a local machine shop and he said "eff offset locks, bring the head here and we will make sumthin work."
That was at 2:45p
They looked at the head, and my pile of extras, stacked some stuff together, and liked it. Ended up cuttin the seats for new valves with taller tips, and out the door in just over an hour!

Time to get stuff done...

Heart Transplant

Reply #7
Lunch break update:

New valves in fresh seats meant starting from square zero settin up the head. Got that all squared away last night.

Set the head on the block and torqued down last night before I called it quits. Got up this morning and shot some paint on it. It is now primed, timed, and lookin fine!

and a shot with the v/c on

A'ight, back to work!

Heart Transplant

Reply #8
Should be fired tomorrow

Heart Transplant

Reply #9
It lives, again.

That is all :hick:

Heart Transplant

Reply #10
Hey, that's slam'n out some work!  Good to hear it's back.

Heart Transplant

Reply #11
That's great to hear!! Now.....how bout a video with some sound???

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Heart Transplant

Reply #12
No vids yet, too busy workin on it.....

Went to the dyno last week and roughed out a tune. She drives amazingly well compared to the old VAM setup! However, on the way home from the dyno, I shredded a timing belt and my new cam and big valves make this an interference engine :punchballs: Bent a valve.

Swapped a stock head on 4hrs from home thanks to good help from great friends, and made it back. Got a new valve this week, and slammed the new head back on it tonight along with a conversion to round tooth timing belt.

One test drive tonight, all seems well.

Heart Transplant

Reply #13
Quote from: 1BadBird;363952
how bout a video with some sound???

Here ya go

And here is a new shot of the engine bay

Heart Transplant

Reply #14
What did it dyno? come on man.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.