Skip to main content
Topic: crank/no start on '97 Cougar (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

crank/no start on '97 Cougar

I've been having a starting problem with my 97. (I know, I know....that's a MN-12, not a Fox.... but I don't like that other forum as much!).

A few months ago, it would occasionally be "hard" to start - It would crank, but not start. After a second or third attempt it would usually start up.

Well a few months or so ago it got to the point of not starting at all. I would try repeatedly, and try on different days, but no luck.

I think I HEAR the fuel pump doing its thing when turning the key to "ON" position, and like my title of my post, the starter seems to engage fine. Lots of cranking, but no starting.

SO... with my limited technical diagnostic skills, as feeble as they are, I thought to myself, "Self...I can't remember when the last time I changed the fuel filter was." So I bought a new filter. A few weeks later I actually put it on. It started right up on the first try and I was so HAPPY with myself for having guessed correctly.

Well... now the same problem. I guess it was NOT the filter, and that it was just a coinicidence (?) that it happened to start up a few times ofter I changed it.

Other information: I HAVE been noticing problems with my IGNITION SWITCH for some time: Sometimes absolutely NO response to turning key to "ON," or sometimes the warning chime mysteriously chiming that I have left my keys in the ignition when actually that are in my hand (and a little wiggling to the key hole/lock cylinder to make it shut up).

Could the crank/no start situation be caused by the worn-out ignition switch?

Sadly, I also purchased a new switch months ago...and it has just been sitting in the trunk! I've changed it on the '87 a long time ago, so I am confident I can change it on the '97. Just need to go do it. Agian, just curious if it could also be the cause of my starting problem.

Thanks All!:bowdown:

crank/no start on '97 Cougar

Reply #1
Well... Problem solved already. I am slightly embarrassed to say that I already had the car towed to my favorite shop a couple of hours ago for the starting problem. It was only after I dpropped it off that I started wondering about that ignition switch, though.

They just called and the problem turns out to be the crankshaft positioning sensor. I am letting them replace it along with it's wiring connector. Not that I like to spend $ for repairs at the shop, but the car is there, they've diagnosed the problem already,  and from my understanding there is a bit work involved/stuff to remove in getting down to it.

I will be changing out that ignition switch myself soon, though! :hick:

Thanks anyway to everyone who I know WOULD HAVE helped me out!!! :D

UPDATE 6/23/11: Got the car back yesterday. All is good again. Ready for another 112,000 miles !!!:cougarsmily: