Skip to main content
Topic: digi cluster problems (Read 2105 times) previous topic - next topic

digi cluster problems

Hey everyone, my 87 xr-7 has the full digi cluster. The problem I'm having is that I cant the speedo to work, I've tried everything in the tech section to no avail. I've also used three clusters, same thing every time.  The left gauge works fine, the right gauge lights up, but gives no info. And the speedo doesn't work at all.
Junkyard Cat

Re: digi cluster problems

Reply #1
all three clusters do the same thing? (gezz, gotta be a power lead or fuse issue/harness problem)

I guess its pointless ask the basics about bulbs then (unless you transfered bulbs to the other speedos).

ill dig into my shop manual and see whats up.

have you installed anything prior to this like tapped into a wire for power under the hood or in the pass compartment?

see if it will enter the diagnostic mode by doing this......

Troubleshooting the Digital Speedo
Hold the Trip Reset button in
turn the ign switch to run
advance through the tests by pressing trip reset
a steady tone and a "P" on the display says it passed.
example
first display will have
54 in upper left and step number 1 in upper right, P in the center
here are the displays for a passing speedo

54          1 P
78          2 P
E4          3 P or F
nothing      4 P or F
nothing      5 P or F
nothing      6 P or F
nothing      7 P or F
1p          8 P or F

display test prove out is step 9\

other options,,,,,,
do you hear a "click" sound when you turn on your headlamps?
does this issue continue with the headlamps on?
does this issue continue with the dimmer rotated to max?
check fuse 6 (page 30 reference)
check fuse 13
check fuse 4 (unlikely)
swap out the illumination relay
swap out the main light switch assembly

Reply #2
All three gauge clusters word fine in my 88 bird, cant access the troubleshooting, and no wires have been tapped into anywhere on the vehicle that I can see.
Junkyard Cat

Reply #3
ok,, then continue on with the rest of the alternatives i mentioned.

you did not answer the rest of the questions.,, ;)

Reply #4
no click sounds, continues with lamps on and with dimmer rotated to max. I've replaced all of the fuses in the car, after I get off work I'll try swapping the relay and the light switch assy.
Junkyard Cat

Reply #5
replaced the switches with no luck  :mad: , cant find the relay.  Sorry I can't read schematics if my life depends on it, could you describe where it should be?  Thanks
Junkyard Cat

Reply #6
relay position is usually in the center of the dash between the central pod and the side cover next to the accelerator pedal, a metal bracket with 4 or 6 relays attached i beleive the one you need is the center on the outboard side. i had a similar problem with my car. when you turn the car on use a bright flaslight an shine it at an angle on the speedo section is there any info there at all? is the problem that it is not lite up or is there no information getting to the cluster?
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #7
instrument cluster relay is on the left hand side of the cluster near main light switch.

again,, does the lcd display glow ***at all***.

Reply #8
nothing at all from the speedo, no light no nothin, not even if I try to look into it using a flashlight.
Junkyard Cat

Reply #9
sounds like wiring or the fuses
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com