Skip to main content
Topic: Aussie Hunting Thunderbird (Read 2847 times) previous topic - next topic

Aussie Hunting Thunderbird

Since i don't actually own a thunderbird yet, but am on the hunt for one.
i figured i might post what i actually do have.

Idealy i'm trying to find a RHD 83-86 Thunderbird (i want the 4 eyes)
Preferably a V8, since parts over here for these are extremely rare i'd rather not be hunting for bits to convert it down the line.

So far i've found about 3 or so for sale, in various conditions and prices (ranging from $6000-$14000)

Thankfully, the 5.0 is freely available in a number of our locally built Fords.
in 1991 (almost 10 years too late!) we got our first taste with the HO motor coming in our EB Falcon and it evolved from there.

so... my cars:

1995 Ford EF Falcon
4.0ltr Inline 6  - Turbo charged (Aftermarket installation)
4 speed auto (Similar to the AOD, only its electronic)
Runs on straight LPG
225kw at the rear wheels
Air Bag suspension

1988 Ford EA Falcon
Heavily Modified Body including later model bolt ons (1997 Front and Rear)
Its ugly, but i love it :P
Has been converted to 5.0 V8 (From 3.9L I6), its a HO motor, with Explorer manifold, Aftermarket Headers and bigger Throttle body.
4 speed auto

1995 Ford EF Falcon - Being Built
Stockish from the outside
5.0 V8 - GT40P Heads, 1.7RR's, Stainless Headers, Explorer Manifold, bigger MAF - Undergoing Turbo Conversion
T5 Manual

If i find a Thunderbird, chances are the Black Wagon will go in parts, with the driveline being a donor for the thunderbird.

Biggest thing i'm trying to do at the moment is to get a bit of an understanding of any local parts that might be interchangable....
not an easy task :)
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #1
Welcome and awesome cars!  Good luck finding a Bird!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #2
Are you looking to get a bird here and have it shipped or something already there? I sold a 70 to a guy over in your country and he told me it runs about 5k in shipping

Reply #3
Yeah, a friend of mine is involved in the import business, i did weigh up the options of importing one.

there are pros and cons of each option.

but yeah, its about $4000 in shipping, plus what it costs to get the car to the shipping depo in the US, plus Tax on the purchase price, plus the purchase price, plus engineering the car to comply with Australian standards.

given the car is still under 30 years old, it either has to be Club Rego'd (limited driving allowed) or fully converted to RHD and all applicable standards over here to get a Full Registration.

If i can find a near on Rust Free one over here with a V8 in it, that would likely make me happy.
I'll more then likely end up respraying it and restoring it anyway.
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #4
Very cool Falcons!  Are they rear wheel drive? 

I really like the sedans.  But the wagon rear end it butt ugly!  pun intended. :)

Reply #5
Quote from: The Shredder;357902
Very cool Falcons!  Are they rear wheel drive? 

I really like the sedans.  But the wagon rear end it butt ugly!  pun intended. :)

Yeah, RWD, live axle :D

the rear end of my wagon isnt 'typical' but yeah, it is ugly
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #6
Man, I want one a Falcon sedan!  Do they make them LHD?

Reply #7
Quote from: The Shredder;357906
Man, I want one a Falcon sedan!  Do they make them LHD?

None that i'm aware of.
They only did exports to South Africa and New Zealand, which is still RHD.
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #8
5L in one of our older cars, this is the motor thats going in the green one above.
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #9
Just for laughs, this now lurks under the bonnet of the black wagon.
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #10
Nice!!! I want!!!
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #11
The falcons look almost like a tarus with mustang drivetrain. More details on the wagon.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Quote from: Haystack;377572
The falcons look almost like a tarus with mustang drivetrain. More details on the wagon.

I was interrested in the wagon too. I like the idea of make cars that arent fast, fast. I'd like to build a crown Vic or beleave or not a big block 1980 Delta 88. The first car I ever drove was a 1980 Delta 88 with a 307. Call me sentimental but I have always wanted a 455 Delta 88.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #13
The wagon is an 1988 EA Falcon Wagon
Has been modified to be hearse like, with 96-98 front/rear

matt black on Ford LTD (Long wheel base falcon) Wheels
It was originally a 3.9litre inline 6, i converted it to a 5.0 HO from a 1998 Falcon/Fairlane
Only modifications to the engine is the Explorer manifold.

It had headers etc until a week ago, when i finally got around to fitting the turbo kit.
its a *really* dodgy kit.
someones homemade job, but i got it really cheap, and with a few modifications and a few days work i got it installed.

Its still in need of a tune and fuel pump, but i'm not chasing big power, just enough to surprise people :P
Heres of a pic as it looks currently:
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #14
what the eff is that green thing in the background?!
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver