Skip to main content
Topic: Brake master cylinder upgrade? (Read 18369 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake master cylinder upgrade?

Reply #45
I just got my master cylinder in the mail, and it only has 2 ports...not 3.  Anyone else have this??
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #46
Which MC did you order?  I tried to look over past posts and did not see what you ordered.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #47
i got a 95 mustang m/c

Reply #48
Same as mine and its a two port.  I think what you need is a 3 to 2 two port conversion kit as it sounds like your Cougar came with a three port system like the 87-93 Mustangs and I would almost bet your threads are SAE.  Maximum Motorsports sells a 3 to 2 port conversion kit with lines (as do other sites - Google search) if you are going to keep your factory combination valve:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_140_517_520_538&products_id=673

With what Maximum has listed on their site the 79-86 Mustangs are two port which is why most of the guys converting those cars use the 85 Lincoln Towncar MC or the SVO unit depending on which disc brake conversion they go with.  The 87-93 Mustangs have a three port system so you have to convert it to a two port system to use any of the two port MC's.

So now you are back to tubing it up.  If you want to stay SAE threads and keep the 95 MC then you need to get these adapters to convert from the metric threads on the 95 GT MC to standard threads if you want to reuse your fittings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-1993-COBRA-Master-Cylinder-Metric-adapter-79-86-/120684529332

Then you can get a 3 to 2 port conversion kit or piece one together yourself and I think you will be all set.  This is a pretty decent write up on how to do the 3 to 2 port conversion but you will have to search out the fittings he uses as I have no idea the part numbers:

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/mc/installation_94gt_kit.pdf

Darren

Reply #49
This is directly from the same site that the 3 to 2 port conversion write up came from (http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page1.html) and I thought it was some good info that others may find useful:

[COLOR="blue"]Here is a more specific information on the master cylinders mentioned:

'84-86 SVO - (SAE Threads) 1 1/8" bore, old style aluminum reservoir unit. no low fluid sensor. This is the same as the 84-90 Lincoln Mark VII. The difference is usually the SVO is aluminum, and the Lincoln can be a cast iron unit.

'85 Towncar - (SAE Threads) 1" bore, old style aluminum reservoir unit.  no low fluid sensor.

'93 Cobra - (metric threads) 1.00" bore

'94-95 GT/V6 - (metric threads) 1 1/16" bore, stock plug in for the low fluid sensor

'94-98 V6 - (metric threads) 1 1/16" bore, stock plug in for the low fluid sensor

'94-95 Cobra - (metric threads) 15/16" bore, stock plug in for low fluid sensor. Ports are reversed thread sizes from 87-95 LX/V6/GT

'99 V6 - (metric threads) 1.000" and 1.006" bore. Can be converted to work for the low fluid sensor on the fox3 cars[/COLOR]

Darren

Reply #50
Yeah thats what i was thinking, just get a splitter.  When i put in the new brakes and that m/c, id be getting braided stainless lines anyway, so i could just go to the store, buy a splitter, figure out the thread sizes and buy the right lines and adapters.  I read on the cool cats site, and on here, that the 95 was supposed to replace the 87-88 3 port m/c, but i guess that was incorrect...maybe someone should change that

Reply #51
Quote from: Aerocoupe;416720
This is directly from the same site that the 3 to 2 port conversion write up came from (http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page1.html) and I thought it was some good info that others may find useful:

[COLOR="blue"]Here is a more specific information on the master cylinders mentioned:

'84-86 SVO - (SAE Threads) 1 1/8" bore, old style aluminum reservoir unit. no low fluid sensor. This is the same as the 84-90 Lincoln Mark VII. The difference is usually the SVO is aluminum, and the Lincoln can be a cast iron unit.

Darren
  The 84 town car can be added to this list as well. I used this along with the smaller booster ( so I could use a firewall adjuster) a proportioning valve and 11" rotors  from an 88lx along with 73mm calipers and my system works perfect.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #52
Quote from: Aerocoupe;416640
With that being said the 1993 Cobra or 94/95 GT unit should measure about 25-3/8" in cirspoogeference and have an 8-1/16" diameter.  Please note that these boosters are physically longer than the Fox boosters.

Darren

I keep reading that the '93 Cobra brake booster is smaller in diameter and longer than a stock Thunderbird brake booster.
Anyone know how much smaller and how much longer than the stock brake booster?

Reply #53
If you will measure the distance around (cirspoogeference) and length of your stock booster and post those numbers I will measure the length on the SN95 booster on my Coupe.  From there the difference in diameter and length can be found.

Darren

Reply #54
One way to do it is to call some parts stores and see if they have them in stock.  If they do go and measure the differences.  I have even had OReillys order stuff in, check it out, and then tell them it won't work.  They don't seem to mind but I always tell them I am in no rush so it comes with their stock orders which costs them zip according to a buddy that works there.

Darren

Reply #55
I just went through this on another thread in this same category.  I have an 88 T-bird and had a heck of a time getting my rear calipers to work after the rear-end swap.  I thought it was the proportioning valve that I got from a 88 TC so went to a manual valve for the rear discs.  that didn't help either.  It turns out that I had to change my MC (the stock one doesn't get enough fluid to the rear) even though CoolCats suggests I could use the stock one.  I bought the 85 Lincoln Towncar  Cardone 10-1518 or 13-1518 or Bendix 11858 and now it works just fine.  It was a painful experience bleeding and scratching my head and bleeding some more.  Hope you can short cut some of the headache.
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #56
Wow, this is now a very long thread!
Somewhere in this thread it's probably already been covered, but I can't find it.

Are the connections on a stock 87 Thunderbird Sport master cylinder metric or SAE?
I'm thinking of going with a 93 Cobra booster and master cylinder, wondering about the connections.

Reply #57
Actually, I'm in the same boat with my 87 Turbo Coupe, anyone know?  I'd like to go 93 Cobra booster and master Cylinder in order to keep things as simple as possible.

Reply #58
OK, '93 Cobra brake booster and master cylinder are in the car. I purchased an adapter kit with them that is basically a T with two short brake lines that make life easy when doing the swap. I still had to bend one of my original lines to connect everything, but it wasn't difficult.  My brakes feel so much better than they ever did before! My car really stops faster, just from this upgrade.

And for those that have wondered . . . the Cobra booster is 1 inch narrower around and 1 inch longer, give or take 1/8 of an inch.  The length measurement is from firewall to  for the MC. The designs are different in volume by quite a bit. The Cobra booster has a lot more volume, the T-bird booster has a spacer that decreases the booster internal volume.

Reply #59
It
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!