Skip to main content
Topic: Painting interior tomorrow... need advice. (Read 3309 times) previous topic - next topic

Painting interior tomorrow... need advice.

Im painting my complete interior (And my new used dash  :D  :giggle: ) tomorrow....

Anything i should think about before doing it?
Should i use Adhesive stuff on all the molding before? the guy said that I dont need to, but im asking you also...

Im using Vinyl Paint (80$ for 24oz liquid + 25$ 4oz spray for the upper, darker part of dash) from the NAPA store with a new dual, gravity feed paintgun kit I'll buy from there tomorrow....

Everything is appart, out from car and washed, waiting for me to take care of em...  :crazy:  :grinno:

Any advise on this and on paintgun will be appreciated...
I used a Paintgun for the 1st time a couple of years ago.... So i still have some question.....

What is the best pressure already? 15? 20? 25PSI?
Do I need to clear coat this?
What is the best width of the jet i should use? Approx : 30*?

Re: Painting interior tomorrow... need advice.

Reply #1
I dont know anything else...

BUT MAKE SURE YOU CLEARCOAT!!! If you dont the paint will fade and chip with wear. I painted alittle just with rattle cans. My friends also got their interior done. My one friend painted it like you, but didn't use clear. He ended up having to re-do the entire thing over again.

80 bucks!! wow!!! Must be good stuff.. and I was complaining about 20 bucks a can.

Reply #2
In a regular Spray can, there is only 4oz of paint for 20-25$
16oz is 50-55$ if you buy it for Paintguns

You do the math.... for 24oz it should be 6x20$=120$.... So, you can still complain...  :giggle:  :giggle:  :rolleyes:

Clear coat or adesive before? That is the question...
Any opinion?

What kind of clear coating should I use if i do? regular? I only know the one for exterior paint.... How did you do yours?  does it last? Wont it react with the vinil paint?

Reply #3
Ok... Adesive it will be for every parts, but im not sure what to clear coat.....
Door panel and dash top are my 1st concern...

Does the dash is rigid enough to get clearcoated?
Every plastic molding will be ok to do it, but I don't think so about the door panels...
Does Flexible clearcoat exist?

Reply #4
I dunno if I would clearcoat or not... I'd think that clearcoat isn't flexible enough, as you said, Sly.

Reply #5
Ok, mine's held up for a year pretty well and here's what I did:

Cleaned all parts thoroughly using acetone. This got the dirt out of all the little grooves in the plastic and vinyl. Then I went over all the parts with an extra fine scotch brite pad.

I used plastic and vinyl adhesive on some parts and not others... can't tell the difference at this point

Then I just started spraying away... No clearcoat. I used the gloss black since I was told that once you put armor all or anything on it you can't touch up the paint, true or not I don't know, but I like the gloss. 

Only parts that are really showing wear are the ones that get constant abuse and I didn't put enough paint on cuz I was rushing (steering wheel, door sill)

Reply #6
Air pressure on your gun deppends on what type of gun it is.  Standard guns use higher pressure than HVLP gravity guns.
One 88

Reply #7
all i did was lightly sand/clean mine then used a high build primer and vinyl/fabric paint made by duplicolor door panels I had to rush through since I needed to drive the car that day so I gotta redo them one day this weekend but other then that it holds up good, didnt clearcoat either. Ill post pics off my comp at home laster today.

Reply #8
heres the pics,

Reply #9
heres a before pic of how it was when I bought it:

back painted:

Reply #10
So here my Update.....

Sorry For the delay... i was badly sick for the last 3 days.....

Here's the Oldies removal.... :

Reply #11
see al the cracks.. :

Reply #12
The tool i Bought to paint the red dash I took off a 87 Red accidented T-Bird..... :

Reply #13
The new Painted Dash... :

Reply #14
Now reinstalling :