Skip to main content
Topic: Blue by You - TC+4 (Read 41470 times) previous topic - next topic

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #60
Quote from: sarjxxx;360325
I need to get them off and on a big fuse like that. Those must be TC specific cause I do not have one of those. I didn't even know they had them. Maybe I can pull one of a TC....hmmmm....

No, that came from NAPA. It's just a Megafuse holder. The fuse plops right onto the studs and a little rubber cover snaps over it.

I have two of those fuse panels, one in the battery area and one in the pax kick area.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #61
Sweet I'm gonna have to pick one of those up. It looks stock.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #62
I grab 175A fuses from taurus's at the JY.  They are on the underside of the fuseblock under the hood.  I also take the battery cable and bolt the fuse inline.  Then I take an enormous (cast off from work) piece of heat shrink and shrink over the whole thing.  Extra easy 3g upgrade.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #63
Quote from: 88CougarGT;360381
I grab 175A fuses from taurus's at the JY.  They are on the underside of the fuseblock under the hood.  I also take the battery cable and bolt the fuse inline.  Then I take an enormous (cast off from work) piece of heat shrink and shrink over the whole thing.  Extra easy 3g upgrade.

Contour has one, too. I have one of those here. It just doesn't have the tabs to bolt it down like the NAPA piece does.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #64
Alright, slowly making progress in the wiring department.  It has taken hours and hours to figure out the mating of these wiring harnesses...

I will show some additional pictures of the computer, dash and chassis harnesses as I finalize them. :)

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #65
right on. good to see you're getting it figured out, even if slowly.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #66
Yeah, it's a time consumer, but it takes less time to design it right than to trouble-shoot it if it's wrong.

Looking very tidy so far!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #67
Alright, still making progress slowly but surely...  Got the fuel lines put together - hopefully they will hold pressure fine.

My wife loves it when I bring the car stuff to the kitchen... :)  But I had to boil the ends of the nylon fuel lines in a pot of boiling water.

I think I ought to find some heat shielding or protection for these fuel lines as they will be running fairly close to the driver's side h-pipe (near the steering shaft).

And here are some updated pictures with the ECU wiring laid out...

Thanks!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #68
Looks good so far. The fuel lines look great.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #69
Alright.  I made some progress on the car this extended weekend...  Happy 5th of July everyone.

- Routed/Installed the Transmission cooler lines
- test fit the exhaust h-pipe
- clearanced the floor shift cable bracket and driver's side h-pipe
- replaced the column shift TV cable with a HO mustang setup.  The column shift TV cable pivot point was interfering with stock h-pipe.
- removed the AOD transmission shift lever to flip around - NO DICE!  The stock column shift lever bends toward the transmission, not away from it.  What to do...?

The coolcats writeup of column to floor shift conversion doesn't mention anything about the shift lever issue or the TV cable clearance problems.  But now I know. :(

I guess I will order one of these and fabricate a pivot bolt/stud...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-ATA-1000/

Does anyone have a floor shifted AOD shift lever?

Thanks!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #70
Alright.  I'm making progress and bought the Lokar AOD shift lever and fabricated the TV cable lever...  I hope this will all work out.

I cut the original column shifted TV lever, flipped one end around, clearanced it with the new shift lever and transmission case and had it welded together.  Here you see the Mustang AOD TV lever on the left and my new fabricated lever on the right...

I'm not sure why Ford made the Mustang TV lever so uniquely shaped.  The stock Mustang TV lever wouldn't work with the aftermarket Lokar shift lever because of the bolted on arm.  Hopefully the fabricated one will work.

I also was working on the shifter.  I bought an AOD floor shifter from Herb, but I didn't like how stiff it was and how rusty it was.  So I'm fabricating the original TurboCoupe floor shifter to work.  I had to transfer over the AOD shifter detent bracket to the TC shifter.  The shifter has two plates riveted together... the bottom plate has the bracket where the cable attaches.

The top plate is the main shifter assembly.  I had to drill out the rivets holding the detent shifter gate on both shifters, then drill out the two 1/8" rivets holding the top and bottom plates together.  Then carefully pulling back the gasket between them, I was able to remove the shifter gate rivet heads and install 1/4-20 machine screws with lock washers to hold the new one...

Now to cut off the end of the TC cable and thread it to accept a rod end or heim joint to attach to the Lokar shift lever...

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #71
Alright, I fastened the AOD shift lever and TV cable linkage to the transmission.  I believe it is going to work great!  Check out the pictures of it so far...

I'm waiting on the metric tap and die set to thread the TC auto shifter cable for my M6 x 1 rod end to attach to the lokar shift lever.

I also tightened the exhaust h-pipe to the manifolds, installed the fuel lines from the k-member to the fuel rails, tightened the trans cross-member bolts, wire loomed the front headlight and alternator harness, and installed the battery tray with 200 amp fuse for the alternator.  I'll try to take pictures of the other progress tomorrow.

My wife and kids are out of town the rest of the week through Saturday.  So it is car time! 

I might get this thing running this week - Lord willing.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #72
Nice work. !!!! I always get a lot of satisfaction on parts I had to modify somehow. It's more "Me" that way. I like your thinking. Again, great work !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #73
Thanks for the comments, Vinnie.  I agree...  The more fabrication, the more satisfaction.  I like what you have done with your car and know you have a lot of personal satisfaction from your build.  I hope to get there someday.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #74
Here is what I have figured out for the TurboCoupe floor shifter cable end to attach to the new Lokar AOD shift lever...

You can see my new setup as compared to the stock AOD shift cable eyelet.  I cut off the TC shift cable eyelet, then threaded about an inch of the hardened cable with an M6 x 1 die.  Then got the jam nut and rod end threaded on.  It is adjustable by how deep I thread the rod end to the shift cable end.

BTW, Midwest Control Products has EVERYTHING you would need for heim joints, rod ends, special studs/bolts, etc.