Skip to main content
Topic: anybody NOT have belt moldings on their car? (Read 9469 times) previous topic - next topic

anybody NOT have belt moldings on their car?

Reply #45
Didn't 347Thunder make some small blocks to blend in the moldings from the bumper???
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #46
Quote from: JR97COBRA;358807
My '83 is also silver, so your car's exactly how I picture mine will eventually look, ivy.  Could you please confirm that those wheels are 16" and their width?  Also, what size tires are you running?

They're 16x7 fronts and 16x8 rears.  The backspacing is 4.5" front and rear.  I've changed the front tires several times.  I've run 225/50s 215/50s and 205/55s.  The rears were always 245/50s.  I've also changed the rear from T-Bird to Mustang width.  In this photo the car has the Mustang rear, which is about 3/4" narrower on each side.  I think they looked better with the T-Bird rear.

Reply #47
That 3/4 shot's money....you've got the stance perfect on that 'bird.

Thanks for the info!
'83 302/AOD Heritage (silver/red, full restoration w/ SEFI, 5-lug, 8.8, rear discs in-progress)
'95 Explorer Limited (white/gray, 4x2, 323K mile daily driver)
'97 Cobra (black/black, bolt-ons, 4.10's)
'04 Lightning (black/gray, bolt-ons, stock-pulley gas guzzler)

Reply #48

Thanks for the info!  I take it that you can't run an 8" wheel up front?

Oh, and sorry for the thread hijack.
'83 302/AOD Heritage (silver/red, full restoration w/ SEFI, 5-lug, 8.8, rear discs in-progress)
'95 Explorer Limited (white/gray, 4x2, 323K mile daily driver)
'97 Cobra (black/black, bolt-ons, 4.10's)
'04 Lightning (black/gray, bolt-ons, stock-pulley gas guzzler)

Reply #49
Quote from: bigbada1;358819
Didn't 347Thunder make some small blocks to blend in the moldings from the bumper???

I sure did!!LOL
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?27960-My-new-invention-for-the-body-moldings
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #50
I'm still undecided on removing mine. The car is going to be all black.. I fear black (body colour) moldings will be odd, and I fear if I did them flat black it would look like  on the glossy black. At the same time though I feel a bit bad about removing the Turbocoupe badging on the side and I worry about it getting banged up here (people around here are extremely rude and don't care about other's property for the most part). Also.. I have chrome pieces from a Cougar that I am installing on the bottom edge of the sides that go along well with my wheels - it wont be completely bare and I think it would look very nice without moldings. I also fear that painting the moldings again that they wouldn't look good for long - paint likes to flake off those and get ugly fast; not as easy to deal with as the metal in terms of body work and making it look nice. I think they are going to come off when I paint it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #51
XXXJust my opinion but I think the color of the car makes a big difference also. When I painted my cougar I left them off since I thought thats what I wanted. Over the winter I finally cleaned them up and straightened them back out and put them on and it looks like a whole different car. I will say though because its a XR7 and has the fat mldg the whole way instead of the skinny between the wheels probably helps in my mind also.

Reply #52
Quote from: JR97COBRA;358846

Thanks for the info!  I take it that you can't run an 8" wheel up front?

Oh, and sorry for the thread hijack.

Thanks for the compliment.  Oh yeah, you can run an 8" wheel up front.  In fact, you can run a 9" if you measure carefully.  I have 17x8s on the front of my car now and I'm thinking I'll eventually go to 18x9s in front and 18x10s out back.

By the way, these are factory 17x8s with a 5.72 backspace.  Up front, I'm running 235/45/17s and the rears are 275/40/17s.  I have no issues at all.  In fact I have plenty of room to go bigger.

Reply #53
Quote from: ivygreen;358872
Oh yeah, you can run an 8" wheel up front.  In fact, you can run a 9" if you measure carefully.

Just throwing it out there to confirm: I'm running 17x9 in front and back without any issues as well. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

Reply #54
Hey Ivygreen aren't your old wheels and Vinnie's current ones the same design? Those things are pretty unusual so they make an impression...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #55
Quote from: sarjxxx;358890
Hey Ivygreen aren't your old wheels and Vinnie's current ones the same design? Those things are pretty unusual so they make an impression...

Nope, mine are different. Similar, but different.

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #56
oh yeah now I see very similar from a distance (or a tiny tiny pic) though
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #57
I'm going to chime in since I'm close to getting started on my 86.  I think all the cars look great without the moulding but I'm torn.  My mouldings are not beat up but the "plastic" chrome is all gone.  I like ivygreen's body color bumpers with that color too.  I have a taupe car and the black mouldings make it look fat.  So I'm soooo confused.  I'm probably going white but too much white will be bad.  Painting is way off.

I hate this thread.  It not making decisions easy.  Eric's vert is fantastic.  You can park it in my garage anytime.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #58
Quote from: tbirdsps;358899
I'm going to chime in since I'm close to getting started on my 86.  I think all the cars look great without the moulding but I'm torn.  My mouldings are not beat up but the "plastic" chrome is all gone.  I like ivygreen's body color bumpers with that color too.  I have a taupe car and the black mouldings make it look fat.  So I'm soooo confused.  I'm probably going white but too much white will be bad.  Painting is way off.

I don't hate the all white look at all.  This notch looks exactly like one I used to own.

I've seen people replace the chrome on the moldings, which would really break up the white nicely.  I think there are threads on here about how to do it.

Reply #59
Quote from: ivygreen;358872

That does it... I'm gonna remove mine when I do the paint job and body work this summer. That's just flat out shagy (with either set of wheels I love it).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt