Skip to main content
Topic: Oil's well that ends well (Read 3495 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Oil's well that ends well

Reply #30
Motorcraft filters are apparently designed and built by Purolator, although they claim otherwise on the box.

From what I gather on that BITOG site, Motorcrafts cause a pretty significant drop in oil pressure compared to many of the other filters. I'll still give this FL-1A a try, though. But I'm thinking about tracking down one of these Wix filters with the 30 PSI bypass valve.

And yes, Wal-Mart is going all-Fram now.. apparently even getting rid of their own SuperTech brand soon.

Oh yeah, Tom: Already bought the oil, yesterday afternoon. Gotta work with what I have for now. I could always just leave out the quart of synthetic and go all 10w40. Anyway, if I grenade this engine, I'll just switch its tag over to the '88 since I've been promised a new fuel pump once this financial mess (from the $3600 repair bill on the ZX2) is sorted out. Then the CFI 3.8 would eventually go bye-bye in favor of the carbed 351W. I don't WANT to grenade the engine.. but if it happens, it happens.. and I'll have a plan in place to deal with it.

Reply #31
Walmart. Ugh!
I always try to get my oil and filters at carquest, always use Motorcraft filters, and usually trop artic or castrol, but lately (past 3 changes) I've been using Castrol high mileage oil in the truck.
With 300,000 miles on it...it's getting weak.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #32
Well, live and learn, people. I got screwed.

Turns out the 10w40 bottle I bought was a gallon, when every other Valvoline MaxLife large bottle I've ever seen is 5 qt. No wonder it was 50 cents cheaper than the 5 qt. of 5w30 MaxLife I bought at Wally-World ~600 miles ago. Good thing I had the extra quart of synthetic on hand. Think from now on I'll try to buy by the case. Won't pile up for long with three cars to take care of.

I drained it.. dumped a little less than half a quart of fresh 5w30 dino down it that was left over from the last change, for a quick and dirty flushing.. put a new plug and gasket (plastic this time.. go fig) on the drain hole. Now it has a FL-1A (pre-filled it some of the fresh 5w30 synthetic) and mostly 10w40. Max oil pressure is a bit lower this time around, (between 55 and 60 now, was over 62 before at cold startup) but the minimum oil pressure under warm idle/load is at least 5 PSI higher. I get probably around 30-35 PSI at 50 mph in OD, when warm. Now to see if the knocking returns on extended trips around town, tomorrow.