Skip to main content
Topic: Tps.... Questions for 5.0..... (Read 1463 times) previous topic - next topic

Tps.... Questions for 5.0.....

Idle on my 87 5.0 has gotten really wack... one day it'll idle one day it won't .... new idle air control valve... just replaced o2/ sensors... just drove over twenty miles... car still hot... checked tps sensor.... it's saying 5v... I know better it's only supposed to be .98v... Right?
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #2
TPs may be bad or you have a bad ground. Have you run codes to see if anything else is amiss?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Just run codes KOEO.... 82 air management 1 circuit failure?.... and 84 egr vac regulator circuit failure?....... Once I got on the right track with the tps... I keep forgetting it's the green and black for checking it's setting.... NOT THE RED AND BLACK!!!! DUH!!! Tps... set at .95v At 30 deg.. out side.... I know it was set at .98 back in the summer.... any hints would be greatly appreciated on these two codes.
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #4
82 is smog pump, and EGR is the emissions thing on the spacer behind the throttle body. Neither one should cause you any problems if you have deleted them. Do a base idle reset, and let us know the results. Your TPS sitting at .94 is well within specs. Was it a steady ramp up in voltage when you play with the throttle body?

My bet is vacuum leak, or IAC.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
well... no smog pump.... pump was about to go out... so I bought a 77" belt... and skipped it... I have no vacuum line on egr...( don't know if that was the right move) ....
to cold tonight for me to clean tb assembly.... but, will do tomorrow when it warms up a bit.. for now i'm just gonna bump up the throttle adjust screw... to .98 or 1.0 and see if will get me through the day....
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #6
Quote from: odie12372;347618
well... no smog pump.... pump was about to go out... so I bought a 77" belt... and skipped it... I have no vacuum line on egr...( don't know if that was the right move) ....
to cold tonight for me to clean tb assembly.... but, will do tomorrow when it warms up a bit.. for now i'm just gonna bump up the throttle adjust screw... to .98 or 1.0 and see if will get me through the day....

The vac. line on my EGR is off as well, no idle problems here. Give the IAC a good cleaning with some degreaser and a small wirebrush, let it dry and re-install, could just be that simple.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #7
well I bumped the Idle screw up just a tad... tps read 1.02... left it at that...... started it up... it idled... didn't choke down....so crossing my fingers... think I figured out where my oil leak was too... (hoping)...top bolt on smog pump had backed out.... if thats the bolt i'm thinking of..... that goes right into the block and right into an oil jacket or hole whatever they call it... That thinga ma doodle...
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #8
Did bumping it up a tad end up solving your problem?