Skip to main content
Topic: Not the BEST christmas in the world..... but it could have been much worse. (Read 3039 times) previous topic - next topic

Not the BEST christmas in the world..... but it could have been much worse.

The Bird is all but totaled. Icy roads suck. and I almost cried in front of my brother. lol.

About 1:00 today (christmas day) I was driving having a good time with family and on my way home from eating at my grandparents house when i slide out of control and over-corrected to keep from ditching it, but in the process i mis-judged the road and how slick it was and ended up spinning a few times for what i think the officer said was 324ft, hitting only a curb, mailbox, telephone box, and slowly bumping into a telephone pole itself. The engine is fine except for i think there could be a slight crease in the oil pan.

but the body is bad.... really bad.

list of things:
Middle parking lights busted,
Grill gone,
front right pony rim destroyed,
windshield is spider-webbed from my bro's head,-- he's fine we walked away without a scratch...yeah...we're that beast haha.
The telephone box completely demolished my driver's side 1/4 right behind the drivers door.... its caved horribly.
and the side window right above the 1/4 is busted but surprisingly straight.
of course, the front right side where the wheel was busted, the tie rod end is shot.

most of it is easy fixes except for the 1/4 panel...... i hate that. I honestly dont believe its fixable....

All in all, I may have lost my baby, but the wellfare of me and my bro were way more important and although I hate seeing my car a wreck like it is, im glad we are OK and hope everyone had a great christmas.

Reply #1
post pics of the 1/4.. it may be fixable as far as it didn't cause any serious damage to the understructure

Reply #2

lol the door still locks.....thats a plus.

Reply #3
ah, looks very fixable.. have you looked underneath to see if anything is bent, rippled, creased or out of shape? it mainly looks like cosmetic damage aside from the door pillar being twisted back a bit

Reply #4
By the way...... traveling 324ft only takes about a half a second cuz i dont remember ANY of it except seeeing us slow down before we hit the pole and thinking " holy  what happened"

Reply #5
Yeah its mostly cosmetic the frame is straight, but i mean... seriously? lol its almost reached the point of kinked. weld-in and bondo or what?

Reply #6
I personally would cut and weld a new front 1/4 half(or a full quarter if you want to eliminate the future possibility of rust)..

but you could get away with pulling it out, working with a hammer and dolly, and smooth the imperfections out with a slight coat of filler.. but i don't like using filler when it's not necessary.. lol

Reply #7
glad you guys are alright, having damage to my bird here recently too I feel your pain. I almost cried after I hit my deer and saw my front end exploded all over the road. :(  but in time things will be back to normal.. dont give up, put your best foot forward and get the things fixed.

Reply #8
Sorry to hear about the damage,and glad that everyone is fine. How fast were you going to slide that far in such a short amount of time? Good luck with the car. If it's not fixable,find another body and start swapping parts. That's what i did after getting hit twice in two weeks.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Glad you are OK , the car should be able to be fixed .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #10
wow, Im glad your all ok though because like the thread title says, it could have been worse.

Let us know what you decide on the bird, it looks pretty bad on the forward qtr but im not a body man by any means.  dents are one thing, creases are another.

Reply #11
it's a shame you can't get a clear shot at it from the inside to slip a 2x4 in there and smack it with a small sledge.. that would make it a hell of a lot easier to push 80% of the dent out.. you may be able to do that to sneak your door pillar back towards where it belongs though.. but overall, if there's no underbody damage, i say she's a fixer

Reply #12
Like you said it could have been worse.  Glad you guys walked away from this.
On side note that can be fixed.  Good luck with whatever you do.

Reply #13
Guys, if I were to sell the bird anyone on the forum has first dibs. What would the car be worth? I got it back on the road and it's all fine except the body and front end.

Reply #14
Sorry to see this happened, I'm also glad you guys are okay. I think if you were to sell it wrecked you're not going to get much for it.