Skip to main content
Topic: Can We Do Without Them ?? (Read 3387 times) previous topic - next topic

Can We Do Without Them ??

Reply #15
On my 1988, it originally had 3, one on each bank and then one when the two pieces came together. When the replacement was put on, there was only one replacement. Whether it is internally different, I dunno, but it only has one, and it passed emissions.

Reply #16
Quote from: jcassity;344480
ok,,,
I think there is a terminology problem either with me or you all.

The resonators I thought were the small items directly downstream of the headers.
The catalytic is the larger item further down stream.

well:
Quote from: supercoupeperformance.com
SCP High Flow 2 ¼" Down Tubes For Factory Cast Iron Manifolds - WITH high flow catalytic converters

A pair of high flow down tubes. Includes Oxygen Sensor fitting for the passenger side. The drivers side O2 fitting is in the cast iron exhaust manifold. Made from the heaviest gage aluminized tubing that is commercially available. The high flow cats are welded in place to the tubing.

Our 2 1/4" down tubes with catalytic converters go from the factory manifolds to the transmission cross member. They will have a flared end and  like the factory exhaust to hook up to the stock cast iron manifolds. The stock exhaust can be cut at the appropriate point and these can be mated to it or you can continue with the SCP cat-back exhaust system or some other exhaust.

--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #17
To be honest, I have never looked to see if there is honeycomb in the smaller ones. I just banged out the bigger one. I'm now wondering if they did just screw me over when I had that work done. I never even looked at it. I was young and stupid at the time. I am still young and stupid, but I learn from my mistakes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
Quote from: sarjxxx;344502
well:

You have posted up an example of an exhust replacement part the ELIMINATES the precats or resonator.

To let you all know,, i have ran a wire down two sets of these resonators and there are no obstructions.  I am pretty sure they are a sound deadening  baffel and nothing more.  I am hopefully correct.

Reply #19
The first units are indeed resonators, they're baffles, no honeycomb or platinum. I have a gutted cat H pipe, still has resonators, not terribly loud. Before I installed it, I looked down into the resonators to see just wtf they really were lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #20
Quote from: jcassity;344508
You have posted up an example of an exhust replacement part the ELIMINATES the precats or resonator.

To let you all know,, i have ran a wire down two sets of these resonators and there are no obstructions.  I am pretty sure they are a sound deadening  baffel and nothing more.  I am hopefully correct.

sorry let me post the rest of it:

A pair of high flow down tubes. Includes Oxygen Sensor fitting for the passenger side. The drivers side O2 fitting is in the cast iron exhaust manifold. Made from the heaviest gage aluminized tubing that is commercially available. The high flow cats are welded in place to the tubing.

Our 2 1/4" down tubes with catalytic converters go from the factory manifolds to the transmission cross member. They will have a flared end and  like the factory exhaust to hook up to the stock cast iron manifolds. The stock exhaust can be cut at the appropriate point and these can be mated to it or you can continue with the SCP [COLOR="red"]cat-back [/COLOR]exhaust system[/I][/B] or some other exhaust.

Note that these down tubes do NOT go all the way to the[COLOR="red"] resonator.[/COLOR]
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #21
well that makes no sense since they are flaired and provisioned for mating to the headers.  lenght looks correct to be a home run to the headers as well.

im really not sure i would trust that company since they obviously dont know how to articulate accurate notes on a specfic model vehicle they claim to have aftermarket support parts for.

Reply #22
Quote from: jcassity;344624
well that makes no sense since they are flaired and provisioned for mating to the headers.  lenght looks correct to be a home run to the headers as well.

im really not sure i would trust that company since they obviously dont know how to articulate accurate notes on a specfic model vehicle they claim to have aftermarket support parts for.
i don't understand what you mean... it says right here they go to the manifolds:

Our 2 1/4" down tubes with catalytic converters go from the factory manifolds to the transmission cross member. They will have a flared end and  like the factory exhaust to hook up to the stock cast iron manifolds.

here's a link to the page:

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=142
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #23
it should also be stated that you guys are claming that there is no honeycomb in those cats...

well one day my car developed a really loud and annoying metal ratttling sound underneath. It took me a while buy I isolated the sound to be coming from that area. so I cut the pipe between the two and after the 2nd one, and guess what blew out of the cat after I turned on the engine? a big black chunk of 1" deep honeycomb material.

If you guys are saying theres nothing in there, its more likely b/c its already blown out the back of your tailpipe.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #24
Quote from: sarjxxx;344646
it should also be stated that you guys are claming that there is no honeycomb in those cats...

well one day my car developed a really loud and annoying metal ratttling sound underneath. It took me a while buy I isolated the sound to be coming from that area. so I cut the pipe between the two and after the 2nd one, and guess what blew out of the cat after I turned on the engine? a big black chunk of 1" deep honeycomb material.

If you guys are saying theres nothing in there, its more likely b/c its already blown out the back of your tailpipe.

I think they're talking about the resonators having nothing inside them resembling honeycomb.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #25
Yeah, the first 2 on mine are resonators, the second set are cats, gutted though. Sounds a bit "buzzy", and has a very noticeable drone. Won't be put back on when I get to that point.

The "honeycomb" is the actual catalyst, ie, platinum.

Not exactly sure what year my stock stang h pipe is from, but the rest of the parts I have were from an '89 LX 5.0 vert...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #26
The resonators and converters from my Stang H-pipe all had the same materials in them...the honeycomb stuff. Broke it all out and re-installed it. Had a nice deeper tone after that as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #27
well ,, some say yes and some say no to resonators having platnum honeycomb.

Is that really Platnum?  like the precious metal?  doesnt make sense something that valueable is in there.

Reply #28
There is one small issue that all of you are forgetting. He stated it is a 96 which means it has an OBD-II computer. If the computer doesn't get the correct signal from the down stream O2 sensor the computer will throw an error code. It will run really rich. I found this out the hard way with my 96 Bird when I had true duals put on it.

Reply #29
Quote from: jcassity;345250
well ,, some say yes and some say no to resonators having platnum honeycomb.

Is that really Platnum?  like the precious metal?  doesnt make sense something that valueable is in there.

Yep. I don't know if you heard, but a few years ago (and I'm sure it is still happening now) people were going into parking lots and cutting the cats off of people's cars because of the precious metals inside. They are quite valuable for spers.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII