Skip to main content
Topic: I'm back (Many Pics) (Read 4375 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm back (Many Pics)

Not sure if I'm remembered or not but I spent the first half of the year here before my car got totaled and I ended up in a long stretch of depression, dropped out of school for a good while, and just generally have had a very rough last half of the year.. anyway.. trying to turn things around for myself, and a nice surprise led to me being stoked about something again (my girlfriend of course also helping my mood, lol).

My baby before she was wrecked:

And her demise..

Now.. I'm back on the road with something again. :hick:

hehehe  ..

So.. upon inspection of my TC after removing crunched stuff off her found out that I needed a whole car or at least a front clip in order to fix it. Smashed a lot of stuff. :mad: I can't weld at all, and I had never chopped anything up like that before so my father played the biggest role in this fix - I basically just financed it. Now it's finally more in my realm of capabilities (minor stuff with appearance and wiring, etc) and I'm able to take reins on it again and.. well.. kinda starting over somewhat on that restoration I was attempting. lol  :hick:  :punchballs:  It's also going to be very interesting.. and now that keeping it original is completely out the window I'm gonna have some fun with this one.

What made it possible to bring her back to life:

1984 v6, Cougar with 97k miles. Car came missing a waterpump (which we bought one and put one on it and checked everything out, she worked great!). A nice Cougar.. but I wanted to fix my baby.. soo.. sorry Cougar fans but she had to come apart and get cut up a bit..  :giggle:

Still a lot more I am taking off of her to fix stuff all over the TC (Which is now more like "Thundercat" ) and stuff to keep for later just in case (the chrome piece on the bottom of the cougar, various trim, doors, and stuff like the center console which is in very nice shape, etc). Engine will be sold, rear end, transmission, etc. I've got a set of Cougar hubcaps that came on it I will sell later, and some other misc things I definitely wont need that are very Cougar specific that I don't plan to retrofit.

So.. that's my Thundercat. :D Oddly enough I think I am going to like her better now. Really diggin the Cougar hood and grill, and those clear side markers. <3 Current plan is to get her looking solid in terms of consistent body trim (the side molding) which wont be hard, retrofitting some parts I think will look nice on her from the Cougar, etc. I am not worried about being original at all now and am just doing what I want with her. I am going to make the entire car black with some chrome accents. Black on black, just like I said I wanted to see her as someday before - I've got the excuse to do it now and no reason to stay with the white anymore (which already wasn't the original colour of white to begin with, never did figure out what that colour of white on her was). I had just fixed the engine's quirks the week before the accident so that is in great running order right now. I'm just gonna leave her a 4 cylinder. I actually need the fuel economy right now anyway, and I've greatly missed hearing it. Later on when this engine finally completely dies I will then do something else.

Happy to have my baby back. :cheers: Sorry for the long post guys! I had a lot of catching up to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #1
Looks awesome! I'm actually really diggin' that Cougar front clip. Glad to see it's running again.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #2
Welcome back.  I have your car saved on my screen saver here at workand just saw it pop up earlier today actually!  Hate to see it get wrecked, but I am glad you could salvage it.  Also glad to hear you are on the mend as far as depression and stuff goes.

You could really have some fun with it before you paint it all black...if you were to paint the back portion of the car black and leave the doors white, it would look like a Cougarbird cop car lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #3
Welcome back , I'm glad you didn't throw in the towel
Fox-less at the moment

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #4
nice !
I'm the forum asshole, put on your big boy pants and deal with it.  :flip:

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #6
Congratulations on saving the TC.  It's a great looking ride.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #7
Looks real nice...............glad to see you save it.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #8
Good to see you and the car back on the boards!

....now go do a huge burnout in front of that shop....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #9
Thanks, everyone. I'm really happy I didn't part her out or sell her. Really, I didn't have the heart to part with her. Someone tried to buy her off me weeks after it happened. Word had spread around town that 'that' car had been wrecked (people saw it driving by talked about it). I wouldn't name a price though, and refused to sell. She was my first car and I don't want her gone, ever.

I'm really looking forward to messing with her again. I had fun the last time I fixed her up nicer and this time will be even better. I'll likely be the one doing the final painting too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #10
Lookin real good...can't wait to see it completed.  :cougarsmily:
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #11
sweet looks like mine under the hood!

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #12
Sweet, another cougarbird. Its alot closer on the 83-86 years then the 87-88.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #13
I'm glad to see you found your way back! It's amazing how a car can make you feel.

I'm back (Many Pics)

Reply #14
I am glad to see you brought it back to life! Well, looks like you are having fun with the Cougar nose. I did the same thing for a little while but decided I wanted the 87-88 Tbird nose instead. So are u gonna leave the Cougar and Mercury emblems on the front? Are u happy with the waterfall grille or do you prefer a eggcrate style like 1985-86?