Skip to main content
Topic: I need HELP guys! (LONG) (Read 1448 times) previous topic - next topic

I need HELP guys! (LONG)

Ok, I havn't posted for a while now but its all good I've been hunting parts for the cougar!  What succes I've had!  Well on the quest for a v8 I've come up with this!

I will be picking up an engine and computer out of an 88 LSC saturday.  Complete and cheap!

Now the wiring issues!

The only harness that I can get is out of an 86.  Its for the sefi SO engine.  Shouldn't this work?  Will I have to repin?

I was digging through the unread posts and read something about the body harness for an 88 sefi v6 is the same as the v8 harness.  Now is it only the same as the 88 model or is it the same as the 86 and 87?  Cause my car is an 88 v6. 

Now if the 86 harness is the same will the 88 LSC computer plug in without a problem? 

The junkyard does have a 88 v8 car but they wont sell the harness because the motor runs and if anyone wants to hear it they need to be able to start it.  :mad:

Aside from all of that will the double hump crossmember out of the LSC work in my car?  I asume it is a double hump right?

Sorry for the long thread.  I just want to join the ranks of the v8 crowd.
One 88

Re: I need HELP guys! (LONG)

Reply #1
I've got good news and bad news.

First the good news; Yes the body harness is the same between the V6 and the V8.

The bad news is it's not the body harness you need to do the engine swap. You will need the engine harness.

I gutted my old Cougar parts car last fall and if memory serves me correct the engine harness goes from the computer in the passenger side kick panel out through the firewall to the engine with connectors going to the fuel injectors, sensors, etc. while the body harness comes through the firewall on the drivers side and connects to things like the, battery, head lights, single lights. I can't remember if it's under the dash or in the engine compartment somewhere but the engine harness will connect to the body harness in order to get power.

If I'm mistaken I'm sure one of our more expericenced members will correct me.

EDIT: I'm wondering if the LSC computer is going to be anygood to you. I seem to remember something about more sensors or something on the LSC.

Reply #2
The LSC has it's own unique tranny crossmember, but I believe it can be used...

The '88 5.0 harness plugs into a 88 3.8 bird/coug no problem, but I'm 99% sure you will have to do some repining if you use the '86-'87 harness(the '87 5.0 harness I used I used in my TC, is slightly different than the '88 5.0 bird I recently bought).

The EEC plugs in and works no problem....

Reply #3
I'm assuming you will be putting this motor directly into your car. Just be sure to start it to hear it run. If you can't start it because of a problem with the car be sure to crank it by hand to see if there are any abnormal noises. If you have already done this, great. Just making sure you've covered all the bases because I've seen a few people get a cheap motor and stick it in their car to find out it's no good.

Reply #4
thundergrowl I should have been more complete.  I want to know if the body harness is the same between the 86 and 88 cars.  V8 and V6.  The only "engine" harness I can find is for an 86.  I'm going to have to repin this harness to work with my body harness from what I can tell.  But if I can get the engine harness from an 88 v8 car I wont have to repin, it will just plug right in? 

I'm pretty sure the lincoln computer should work.  Or atleast I hope!
One 88

Reply #5
Sorry 'bout that. I kinda figured that out after TurboCoupe50 post but I figured I'd leave it there anyway.

Reply #6
turbocoupe am I right, the 88 harness will plug right in?  How much work will it be to make the 86 harness work?
One 88

Reply #7
Quote from: CougarSE
turbocoupe am I right, the 88 harness will plug right in?  How much work will it be to make the 86 harness work?

All I can tell you is the '87 5.0 harness in the TC has an extra plug(3 vs 2) near the master cylinder to feed power to the EEC. The '88 has the connections for the third plug included in the other two.

How much if any difference there is in a '86 harness I don't know.

Reply #8
Thanks man.  I Got my engine today!  The lincoln harness is very differn't than the cougar harness!
One 88

Re: I need HELP guys! Updated, got new parts.

Reply #9
Just got back from the local junkyard!  I've got a dash for my car that is almost perfect!  Anyways the car was an 86 tbird elan.  I pulled the engine harness because it was a 5.0, but since I had the dash out I went ahead and took the dash harness as well.  I'm going to see if the engine harness will work with the dash harness in my car but if not i might switch the harness out with the 86. 

Now a question about the harneses in our cars.  Are they modular?  Some of the connectors on the 86 dash harness I notice on my harness before.  I pulled the keyless entry pad and its wires just ran to a connector under the door panel and I remeber seeing that connector when I last had my door panels off.  This 86 elan also had the auto climate control.  I pulled the whole ac and heater unit in case it was differn't because I want to swap the auto climate controll into my car. 

This car didn't have the systems sencery (sp?) I dont think But it did have the full digital cluster wich I also got.  Does the full digital cluster have the indicators built into it or would it have had the indicators by the cigeratte lighter?
One 88

Reply #10
don't mean to hijack but would the 86 harness match up to a 84 cougar at all? cuz i might be able to get a elan bird soon myself and i planed on possibly using the motor if the body is to far gone. thanx

Reply #11
Ok today I checked the harness.  My 88 harness has two round connectors and the 86 harness has like two square connectors and like 3 others small ones.  Doesn't work at all.......
One 88