Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 sc on a 5.0 carbed motor ????????? (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 sc on a 5.0 carbed motor ?????????

can this work?? I have a 5.0 carbed motor and i want the sc from the 3.8 (i think its the m90?) will this fit /or can it be fabricated?? if so, can someone help me...? thanks in advanced guys...

Re: 3.8 sc on a 5.0 carbed motor ?????????

Reply #1
well, you can fabricate anything, but to use the m90 would be a lot more work than its worth

the m90 is decent on the supercoupes, but they run out of steam up high, and dont make much power up there at all

if you sit and think about it, i dont know your fabrication skills, but if you were to buy the blower, in the inlet tubes, and all that , because youll ne the s for it, you might be in the hole, say 300 bucks, then some fabricators/machinests want 70 bucks an hour, the the cost of supplies, and then you may have to buy other parts for the project...it might even break even with buying a used kit, and modifying it to fit
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
so , what do you recommend? what would you do?

Reply #3
Knowing him, my guess is that he's gonna recommend a turbo. :p

Reply #4
yeah, id like to stay away from turbos.. I have 2 t3's that are .42/.48 and i was told they will do shiznit for my engine... but ill do some more homework on this.. thanks...

Reply #5
If you really wanna do an Eaton style blower look for an Eaton M112.  Those are the blowers on the Ford Lightnings and 03-04 Cobras.  They pop up on EBay all the tim and to pay $150 for a good unit is not uncommon.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
well, what i would do, is check out whats already on the marketand start seeing how things are designed, and seeing if you could replicate the designs, and things like that

mouting an M90 would require a lot of fabricating, youd need to make a custom inlet, custom discharge tube, custom mounting bracket, youll possibly have to find a way to make a crank pulley, using the SC's and your own, or something like a lightnings, who knows, then youll need to worry about how much boost youd get with the pulleys, because you never know untill you wind it up, then you have to worry about space constraints, you may loose your a/c and smog JUST to make room for the blower

go over to turbomustangs.com, they have some VERY knowledgable people on both superchargers and turbos, they generally sway towards turbos, but there are some very fast supercharged guys there
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
I think you could get by with only ONE :D

surf to hearts desire,,, but keep a towel handy so you dont drool on your keyboard....... :giggle:

http://www.toohighpsi.com/SCTC/sctc.htm

Reply #8
maybe you could just put it on a 3.8.....
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack
maybe you could just put it on a 3.8.....

and enjoy changing your rotating assembly for something with lower compression, stronger rods, and still having headgasket issues, and less power...COUNT ME IN!!
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
keeping in mind i can fab something up to go on my 5.0 non fuel injected motor... how much boost does this have? can it be adjusted? thanks all for the info but could use alittle more, i cant seem to find much info on how to do this... and to answer someones question just to use a 3.8... WHY...more power in the 5.0 and with the extra boost it should bring me up to 330 hp .. atleast right guys. lol

Reply #12
well...boost is different per car, one the 3.8L, it makes 15psi or so, but on your 3.8L, it might make more, or might make less, its unknown untill you put it on, and take it WOT

as for adjusting it, the only thing you can do is change the pulleys, which is just a PITA after a while

as for your turbos...who told you they wouldnt do anything for your car?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #13
Quote from: ONEpissedOFFstang
keeping in mind i can fab something up to go on my 5.0 non fuel injected motor... how much boost does this have? can it be adjusted? thanks all for the info but could use alittle more, i cant seem to find much info on how to do this... and to answer someones question just to use a 3.8... WHY...more power in the 5.0 and with the extra boost it should bring me up to 330 hp .. atleast right guys. lol

fordmuscle.com has an archive on the carb'd super charged engine. Maybe that was a turbo but anyway,, give them money to subscribe to thier entire board,,15bux last year from me and it was worth it.

dont dare turn down one of these blowers if you get your hands on one.

as for the rest of your question,, there are many many ways to explain it.  I highly suggest you read up on how a blower works,, the vac that ties into the charger itself,, the rpms which it happens and all that good stuff.  Its really a long novel to explain all the 5 w's of bolt on blowers without having read up on the basics first.  yes they can be adjusted, modified, tweeked ect ect as well as a turbo.

Reply #14
i just showed the wife the pic of the twin turbo tbird (hey does that make it Tcubed?)

anyway, her exact reaction was

"oh,, looks like something in back to the future,, do you feed it bananna peals or what" :rollin: