Skip to main content
Topic: Rear brake dragging (Read 1197 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear brake dragging

The right rear brake on my 82 drags when moving forward.  Reverse is just fine, but the second I put it into drive, it sticks.  The parking brake is also very hard to engage.  I am thinking that maybe the self adjuster is malfunctioning.  Is it possible to install that backwards?  I did recently do some brake work on it.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Rear brake dragging

Reply #1
Try lubeing everything up on the drums. The adjuster can be adjusted, but I personally have never done it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Rear brake dragging

Reply #2
If it was fine before you did the work and it is having the issues after you did the work then most likely it was a simple installation error.  If you have a Haynes manual there is usually a picture of what the assembled unit is supposed to look like and it will say if it is the left or right hand side.  You just have to flip it for the opposite side as there are primary and secondary shoes and the adjuster can easily be installed backwards.  You may also have an e-brake cable that is frozen causing an issue.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Rear brake dragging

Reply #3
Quote from: Aerocoupe;339126
If it was fine before you did the work and it is having the issues after you did the work then most likely it was a simple installation error.

The funny thing is that I did the work on it a couple of months ago and it started acting up last week. I will take a look when I get some time. Thanks for the ideas.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Rear brake dragging

Reply #4
Interesting indeed.  It has to be something simple like the primary and secondary shoes are on the wrong side or the adjuster is in backwards.  Brakes are pretty simple when you get right down to it.  I always had to get the picture in the manual out to make sure I had it right.  I remember the first time I did them I disassembled both sides and then tried to put it back together...the old photographic memory did not work on that one.  That is when my dad bailed me out and got the service manual out and showed me the picture of what it was supposed to look like.  Now I disassemble one side and put it back together before touching the other side so I have a reference.

Good luck and I still say it will be something simple.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp