Skip to main content
Topic: MAF Truck ECUs with modifications (Read 1615 times) previous topic - next topic

MAF Truck ECUs with modifications

Im not sure if anyone has tried this before or not, but im in the process of using a 95 Ford F150 5.0 mass air ecu and meter.  Just kind of confirming that it can be done with not a whole lot of modification to the pinout of the eec connector.  Ill make a list soon on which wires were moved, 2 wires were added for the MAF (because i had SD before)

Reason for doing this is the cost of A9l/p computers are still over 100 bucks, where I managed to wrestle this one away for alot less, with the mass air sensor and harness pigtail. 

Even when you dont use the electronic transmission parts, the ecu doesnt complain much.

most of the info i used was from fordfuelinjection.com, i just couldnt really find much info on MAF swaps with truck ecus, so i found the info and did it :)

Reply #1
What firing order does the 95 truck 5.0 use , 15426378 or 13726548 ?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
Pretty sure it's the HO firing order......
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #3
Yeah its the HO firing order for sure :)  I just took the car for a bit of a rip, threw a few codes, the main issue im thinking im having is that i dont have a knock sensor, as the truck ecu was meant for one.  That will definitely wait for a trip back to the yard to snag the sensor then try to find a place to mount it to the block, because im sure my 90 lincoln mark vii block didnt have provisions for it.

Reply #4
What codes are you getting?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #5

I also cut the mounting plastic for the mass air sensor off the truck airbox and epoxied it right to the factory airbox, then trimmed down the air tube to make it fit.  Almost looks like it came that way eh?

Reply #6
Well I learned something today :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #7
That engine bay looks really tidy! Mine has got wires running literally everywhere. MAF looks great, almost factory.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #8
You can add #194 bulbs in place of the solenoids to trick the ECU into thinking it is shifting the trans... One lead on each bulb will ground, the other leads connect back to ECU... I did this on a A4LD ECU for a Mustang, should work on this one as well...

The knock sensor really isn't important... Will only throw a code in the KOER or maybe in memory...

Reply #9
Okay i obviously know the easy way around finding out the check engine light codes, since i have the ecu still on the passenger floor, but what if your wiring harness has no STI plug?
Is this even possible?

Theres the picture of the self test plug, with no sti near by at all, there is one single wire connector that looks like the sti but black insted of grey under the starter relay, but thats all i can find on the harness anywhere.  Has this ever happened before?

Reply #10
Well I dunno but it may have had the test connector in another harness that plugged into the ECU harness...  Ford pulled that $hit on the '87-'88 Turbo Coupes, so after removing the 2.3 harness and installing the 5.0 I had two connectors(only the 5.0 connector is active though)...

Reply #11
There is definitely no STI connector in my harness at all, havent checked to the ecu yet but i will tomorrow.  Weird as heck, ive been helping a friend tear down an 86 mustang and pulling his harness i found no STI connector either, but there was a grey single wire clip sitting on the inner fender as if someone tore the wire out and left the connector.  Weird is all i can say.

Reply #12
Didn't all 5.0 trucks used the SO firing order or are they batch fire?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;339197
Didn't all 5.0 trucks used the SO firing order or are they batch fire?

Sometime in 94 they changed to the HO firing order ;)

(I asked the same question earlier in this thread then I researched it  :hick:)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #14
So when they went to roller cams in the 5.0 and 5.8 in 94 they both used the same cam? If not what cam is in a 94 5.0 truck? Also the ECU is SEFI in 94?

I'm just glad I got my A9P for free:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.