Skip to main content
Topic: Running hot (Read 1390 times) previous topic - next topic

Running hot

Well, my drivability issues are solved. I replaced the tank and the sending unit, all is good. Starts much easier, no more bucking.

But, now I'm running hot! The car got up to 210 just around the block. I replaced both radiator hoses and the water pump. The car ran fine before. Also, it's idling high, as if it were cold. Do these symptoms sound like a thermostat? Or maybe just an air pocket in the cooling system? And was that long spring in the lower hose important...? I didn't put it in the new one.

Thanks, you guys have been a ton of help. :bowdown:

*edit* Oh yeah, one more thing. While the car was at 210, the overflow bottle didn't fill up. It stayed around the cold fill line.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Running hot

Reply #1
It may be a good idea to replace the thermostat anyway, especially if it hasn't been replaced in a while,  and if it is not opening up your car will overheat.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Running hot

Reply #2
I wish I heard that before I put the water pump on :p

Oh yeah, one more thing. While the car was at 210, the overflow bottle didn't fill up. It stayed around the cold fill line.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Running hot

Reply #3
How long has it been since you last changed the thermostat/coolant and what temp do you normally run at?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Running hot

Reply #4
Before I did all this work, it rarely ever got over 180. That was a few months ago. And I assume that the thermostat is the original 26 year old, 140K mile thermostat.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Running hot

Reply #5
If that is the case, replace it, and see what happens.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Running hot

Reply #6
The spring in the lower hose is important too , it keeps the hose from collapsing at higher rpms
Fox-less at the moment

Running hot

Reply #7
Alright, will do. Thermostats are cheap, 5-10 bucks, and I'll throw that spring back in the hose.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Running hot

Reply #8
just wondering.. is it a 5.0 and are you running a serpentine or V-belt?

Running hot

Reply #9
Yes, 5.0. It has 3 belts, one V belt for the waterpump and power steering, one belt for the alternator and air pump (not hooked up), and one for the AC and an idler (belt isn't even on, winter time+no freeon=why bother?)
2002 Honda Civic EX

Running hot

Reply #10
are you sure you have the right water pump? Vbelt and serpentine belt pumps rotate in different directions

Running hot

Reply #11
Boy, that would be......not good to say the least! I got the pump from Advance Auto, I can only assume it's the correct one.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Running hot

Reply #12
check the part number.. it wouldn't be the first time the retards at advance screwed up lol

Running hot

Reply #13
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;337866
check the part number.. it wouldn't be the first time the retards at advance screwed up lol

I'm not too sure how I'd go about doing that...the pump is on the car and the box is in the trash. The receipt says I received this pump

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-Water-Pump-GMB_5420156-P_54_R|GRPCOOLAMS_1391295481___

Which appears to be the correct one.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Running hot

Reply #14
hmm.. seems to be the right pump.. my guess is thermostat or air bubble.. try squeezing the upper rad hose with the rad cap on to try sucking any bubbles into the radiator, then just top it off. you definitely need the spring though, like stated above.. the hose will collapse under high RPMs