Skip to main content
Topic: C5 kick down not working --pic added (Read 777 times) previous topic - next topic

C5 kick down not working --pic added

Still working the bugs out of the '84. I took her on a nice 2 mile cruise yesterday and there's still no kick down function despite re connecting it at the trans. Before I go tearing into the trans, what are the necessary steps involve in making sure the rod is adjusted correctly. Does this look normal to you guys? If I disconnect the return spring and actuate by hand there seems to be no resistance, like it's disconnected inside the trans.

***Ha! Forgot to put the pic link in - fixed***
79 Monte Carlo Landau--350/TH350 2K stall, 7.5 posi/3.73's...built with other people's "junk"
87 Thunderbird LX--3.8/AOD: stock DD:down and out with a blown motor (sucky esshag engines)
69 Impala 4dr Hardtop--327/glide: stock, parked and left for dead
84 Thunderbird LX--new project: donating it's engine to the 87 and then getting a v8 of a different kind???

Reply #1
Pictures? I don't recall any year other than the 83 having a C5, and I also don't think there was any adjustment, just a brass rod that actuates a lever on the trans....

Granted, it's been a couple years since I had the factory setup on mine. I do know that there should be some tension in the trans end of it, enough to push the rod back.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #2
when my kickdown didnt work it was because the clip up at the cfi end of the rod causing it to fall out. the reason for the clip falling out(popping out really) was the trans was coming off the motor from the bolts loosening up. i just threw some electrical tape on it to hold it and it worked fine for weeks. yea, for real.
 other than the rod being bent i dont think there is much that can go wrong in that area.
i cant remember if the rod should have resistance/whatever to it or not. i dont have any reference material handy.

83-86 had c5 with 3.8 v6, aod was optional.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost