Skip to main content
Topic: Take it apart and put it back together for no reason!!! (Read 12963 times) previous topic - next topic

Take it apart and put it back together for no reason!!!

Reply #45
Quote from: ZondaC12;349378
Hell yeah! I'm amazed at his (their) work. I say their because it's him and his brother Matt that run the "whole operation". They gave me a list of options and I said I wanted everything with everything on it. Porting it to flow like a GT40, cleaning it in a solvent tank, bead blasting everything and then coating it with clear ceramic enamel good to 500 degrees F. Took 'em a few days and that's it. Really impressed.

How much does that service generally cost ?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #46
Can't imagine much has changed in about a month or so...it's $150 to have a lower ported. Another 30 and you get it cleaned, blasted, and painted. Another 100 and he'll clean, port, blast and paint your upper. To send your lower back to you it's 25-30ish depending on where you live, sending back an upper and lower is 40-45ish, same deal. It's well worth it. Came out to right about $360 I spent all said and done, including getting the thing to them! They're in MO just fyi. If you do send them an intake and want it cleaned, be sure you do them the courtesy of taking it to a DIY carwash and blasting the hell out of it to get the caked on gunk inside/under the lower off, that helps them get it done quicker and guarantees that it'll come back to you like mine did, literally spotless, like a brand new piece. I mean not ONE speck of dirt/oil anywhere. Period.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

ALRIGHT!!!! A year and four days later. It's time.

Reply #47
My friend and his dad have been goin' full bore since the day they moved into their house. The planets aligned and he got time off from helping at his BIL's shop. And now...he will focus his energy towards this. I can't express how excited I am. :D

What a sight it was to see it OUTSIDE lol. My friend will be sure to take as many pictures as possible during the transformation, which includes a couple holes in the passenger side floor I found not too long ago as well, hidden right up above that  brace that sits there behind the splash guard.

I cannot wait to be chirping tires and lookin' good all over creation come spring time.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #48
looking good Paul, I am glad to see those headers are gonna get some use.  What year is the panther in the picture? Is it a slicktop? 87 or 88?

Reply #49
Pics like that actually make me miss the days I was swapping EVERYTHING on the Sport. I enjoyed it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #50
This should look factory correct (i.e. no sloppy "patch job") when it's done correct? If so it should be awesome.

While it was apart you didn't happen to find any factory paint or inspection marks did you?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #51
Dude....I've been meaning to take a picture of this one thing for about since you MADE that thread. :hick:

I think it goes perpendicular to the length of the vehicle, on the driver's shock tower, there is a faint yellow printing, stencil I guess, painted on that says "4  21". The door jamb says 4/87 as the build date. So I concluded that it's birthday is April 21st 1987. :D I make a note of it every year!! Lol.

Your first statement is why it's going to who it's going to. He knows exactly how I am and will do his  best to blend it in with everything that's there. I'm really excited. I'll have to post pictures of my lower quarters that he patched. The 1-inch flat feature right around the wheel opening and their slight kick-out, the whole shebang, they look how they should. He will do the black car as well, unless I decide I want to practice welding some more and try. That car I'm not nearly as worried about. Don't want it looking awful, but this car is the one that calls for this type of attention.

Reply #52
Quote from: ZondaC12;377876
Dude....I've been meaning to take a picture of this one thing for about since you MADE that thread. :hick:

I think it goes perpendicular to the length of the vehicle, on the driver's shock tower, there is a faint yellow printing, stencil I guess, painted on that says "4  21". The door jamb says 4/87 as the build date. So I concluded that it's birthday is April 21st 1987. :D I make a note of it every year!! Lol.

Your first statement is why it's going to who it's going to. He knows exactly how I am and will do his  best to blend it in with everything that's there. I'm really excited. I'll have to post pictures of my lower quarters that he patched. The 1-inch flat feature right around the wheel opening and their slight kick-out, the whole shebang, they look how they should. He will do the black car as well, unless I decide I want to practice welding some more and try. That car I'm not nearly as worried about. Don't want it looking awful, but this car is the one that calls for this type of attention.

Where's the picture ;)?

I'm glad the guy you're using is going to make it look factory. if you want "originality" it has to look original.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #53
That's awsome! I'm glad to see after all this time they're going to get it done for you. Being that you know them I'm sure they'll do a good job for you.

Reply #54
Just some cell phone pics I took tonight while I was up there. I'll have all his detailed pictures of every step of the process once it's all said 'n' done. But he's movin' right along. No rush on his part or mine, I'm happy to have the middle stall my mom allows me to use, to now park the vic in instead of being jammed up by an immobile vehicle. That and I was able to replace a GONE control arm bushing.

Notice the notch he cut to match the factory rail LOL :D

Reply #55
Looking good. It looks like he's going to do a hell of a job.

Reply #56
I forgot to mention that the top cover piece is actually real solid so he said let's re-use it!! :D

Those tubes...they're from an old garage door torsion bar spring shaft. Hopefully a nice one like a Wayne Dalton or something LOL. And that's an optical illusion, no a Tidy Cats tub is not holding this car up. Unfortunately.

Reply #57
You're going to re-shoot the entire bay when he's done right?

Reply #58
Noooooo no no way too much good original paint. :D

He's gonna use gray sealer just like what they used and try to match the light covering the factory did. About half that engine bay is grey and half is red. Pretty sad but that's the way it was, and he maintains he can continue the pattern where he worked. If he has to scuff off some more in the surrounding area to give him room to blend, that's fine with me. That will be interesting, to see if he can pull it off, and I can't see why not ;)

Reply #59
The factory really did a half ass job painting the engine bay on these cars. I have seen some that are pretty much fully covered and some that are really splotchy. Most of the time the paint does not extend below the pinch weld between the firewall and cowl. Mine looked to be fairly well covered before I re-painted it but that could have been because the car had a silver engine bay, which blends well with the gray primer.