Skip to main content
Topic: gear/diff swap (Read 7309 times) previous topic - next topic

gear/diff swap

Reply #30
yeah, but someone could have put a set of 3.73's in it at some point.. that would explain why there was no significant notice in acceleration gain

but a 6K RPM launch.. WTH!? no wonder his original rear went POOF lol

gear/diff swap

Reply #31
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;336696
alright, i failed at explaining lol.. ask any racer, not some guy crusing around on the streets.. 4.10's will hook the tires better than, say, 3.08's or something of that drastic difference

Maybe I'm dense or something but this still makes no sense? "Hooking" is having traction. Higher numerical gears will give you more torque multiplication, making traction a problem which is NOT "hooking". Unless you're meaning something else that isn't processing in my head?

Breaking the tires free != hooking. Of course, breaking the tires free on shifts is nice and all, especially if you have some nice fat ones, but also a hazard to everyone (on road) and a waste of power.

I agree on the 6k launches - doesn't seem very beneficial on anything but helping get out of the hole quicker with a lower performance motor. I like not having traction at times - it keeps the car from getting overly expensive.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

gear/diff swap

Reply #32
I'm just waiting on the OP's next post in regards to finding the next weak link.

Of all the cars I've had, only the Sport has my respect in regards to power. I've made it what it is (understandably, not much haha) and I'd be very hesitant about 6,000 rpm clutch drops...

All my other cars I ran the piss and vinegar out of, and truly, only three have survived. The Blue truck I drive now, my white Tbird, and my '92 F-150.
What killed the white car was me...under some chemical influence attempting to drive it home without checking the oil (horrendous rear main leak) and ended up with a ventilated pan, yadda yadda.

"If you drive it like you hate it, eventually you will."  :rollin:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

gear/diff swap

Reply #33
Quote from: Seek;336719
Maybe I'm dense or something but this still makes no sense? "Hooking" is having traction. Higher numerical gears will give you more torque multiplication, making traction a problem which is NOT "hooking". Unless you're meaning something else that isn't processing in my head?

Breaking the tires free != hooking. Of course, breaking the tires free on shifts is nice and all, especially if you have some nice fat ones, but also a hazard to everyone (on road) and a waste of power.

I agree on the 6k launches - doesn't seem very beneficial on anything but helping get out of the hole quicker with a lower performance motor. I like not having traction at times - it keeps the car from getting overly expensive.

it has something to do with a lower(numerically lower) gear trying to turn the tires faster(speedwise, not acceleration wise).. i just know what was told to me and what i've witnessed. my camaro with low(numericaly) gears spun like crazy when launching at 3K, even with my locker.. when i put 4.11's in it, i was able to hook when launching at 3400, my converters breaking point(so to speak)

gear/diff swap

Reply #34
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;336730
"If you drive it like you hate it, eventually you will."  :rollin:

i like that motto hahah

gear/diff swap

Reply #35
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;336735
it has something to do with a lower(numerically lower) gear trying to turn the tires faster(speedwise, not acceleration wise).

3k rpm's in lower numerical gear would be at a higher speed than in a higher numerical gear, say 30mph versus 20mphso yes, although normally the lower numerical gears would just bog down unless you h ave extremely poor traction. I get what you're saying there though. It has nothing to do with "hooking" itself - it's hooking at the same engine rpm's that is the problem.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

gear/diff swap

Reply #36
wheel speed is a problem as well when it comes to the tires gripping. but what happened to the thread starter? i think he ran away lol

gear/diff swap

Reply #37
No idea - he was on 3 days ago.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

gear/diff swap

Reply #38
dont get on here much guys. my ring and pinion tooth count is 41 ring gear/10 pinion. i'm not pulling it back out to take pictures...

after driving it a while i can honestly say i my first impression of the gears was wrong...it accelerates a LOT harder now than it did before...only complaint i have is, well, i really dont have one....still getting 20+mpg and if i can get the occasional shiznitty running it has out of it, the mpg will get even better...
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

gear/diff swap

Reply #39
there's an easier way to get a ballpark number.. but you'd have to drop your driveshaft lol

gear/diff swap

Reply #40
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;336885
there's an easier way to get a ballpark number.. but you'd have to drop your driveshaft lol

Jack the rear, and neutral.

Turn the shaft by hand, watch the wheels and shaft, and count 'em.

Done deal :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

gear/diff swap

Reply #41
ah .. all this time and i never thought of it that way.. lmao.. 4.10's will be 4.1 rotations of the driveshaft to 1 turn of the axle

gear/diff swap

Reply #42
OR, you simply divide the numbers that i KNOW, 41 teeth on the ring gear, divided by 10 teeth on the pinion equals 4.10...

i know for a fact that i put 4.10's in it, i even put the 4.10 axle tag on it...lol
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

gear/diff swap

Reply #44
I'm confused by your sig DougyFresh...SD HO conversion, then something about MAF?

Have you already converted, or just have to get the ECU and MAF harness?
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads