Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Exhaust/EGR Questions... (Read 1829 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Exhaust/EGR Questions...

I came upon an interesting find today while working on an early 83 Cat.

It's a CFI 5.0 with an EEC-III  setup and Duraspark Ignition.

Anyhow, I'm swapping the OEM Manifolds and Exhaust for OEM Mustang Headers and a Pace Setter H Pipe, etc etc.

I just pulled down the lead down pipes off of the manifolds and there was a peice that came out with a Vacuum lead that looked like a small throttle body in the exhaust line.

It appears that this device is somehow connected to the car's EGR System.

Obviously, it's something that's not going to be able to find it's way into the new exhaust.

I'm wondering if capping the lead vacuum line that went to this device is all that is needed, or if I have to do something else?

It's an EEC-III car, so there are no ports to pull a code from, and the car allready has the smog pump & line delete.

What needs to happen with this set up to allow the new exhuast to go on without causing any other issues?

Thanks!
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: 5.0 Exhaust/EGR Questions...

Reply #1
I just pulled down the lead down pipes off of the manifolds and there was a peice that came out with a Vacuum lead that looked like a small throttle body in the exhaust line.
Right-side?  That would be the Exhaust Heat Control Valve (aka heat riser).
CFI is a "wet manifold" design, like a carb (fuel and air all the way down), and needs the heat to warm up the manifold so the fuel doesn't pool. Some cars use a bi-metallic spring to control it, ours use a vacuum can.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #2
yeah,, if that ever gets in the "always closed" mode, you'll wonder where all your power went to.  I took two off a camaro and welded the pin so that its open all the time.  The exhaust system depended on it to be there in order to mate up the headers to the exhaust.  Without these, he would be running wide open with a 2'' gap. 

i put vac on both and neither opened up.

Reply #3
Quote from: MasterBlaster
Right-side?  That would be the Exhaust Heat Control Valve (aka heat riser).
CFI is a "wet manifold" design, like a carb (fuel and air all the way down), and needs the heat to warm up the manifold so the fuel doesn't pool. Some cars use a bi-metallic spring to control it, ours use a vacuum can.

This is exactly what it is.

I see no real way to use it in the new exhaust, and this car doesn't get driven in the winter, so is there a problem in just capping the vacuum line and omiting this part?

(From the looks of it, it has not properly functioned in a while.....)
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #5
Quote from: jcassity
many cars find this part absent these days :giggle:

Thank you both very much!

I kinda figured this part wouldn't be necessary or too critical to omit.    My own 83 Cat didn't even have it on there to begin with.    So when I ran into this on this other 83, I was a bit taken back....

Needless to say - it's gone now.  :)

Thanks for the help!!!!

]Ralph Waldo Emerson