Skip to main content
Topic: Random High Engine Idle (Read 870 times) previous topic - next topic

Random High Engine Idle

I took my EGR valve off the car today to clean it out and inspect it. I cleaned it out with carb/brake cleaner, and put it back on. When I started the car a couple of hours later, the engine spikes up to like 3000rpm. I don't have a tachometer in the car, but its high, its more than the car would be running at doing 70-75 mph on the highway. Any thoughts? What with the EGR could cause this? It got dark before I could really inspect it, but I know everything was connected again. I'll look at it tomorrow, but thought I would post here tonight, just to get a couple of ideas in the right direction to go it.

Random High Engine Idle

Reply #1
vacuum lines.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Random High Engine Idle

Reply #2
Well I think you guys will laugh at this one. I figured out the problem, there are washers on the EGR valve, and I put the washers on before the valve it self, and then the bolts. It was dark when I did it, I couldn't see too well. Went out there in the morning and realized it, lol. Feel like an idiot. If only the clicking noise was this simple, haha.

Random High Engine Idle

Reply #3
Isn't it a b**ch when you create your own vacuum leak!  I hate it when that happens.:D
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com