Skip to main content
Topic: Calling all Teves brake system experts! (Read 4040 times) previous topic - next topic

Calling all Teves brake system experts!

My thread on NATO got kinda hijacked so I figured I would start one here too.  I just picked up an 87 TC with an extremely hard brake pedal.  It is nearly impossible to stop.

The first thing I noticed is that there was an unplugged relay under the vacuum tree that goes to the pump motor.  I also noticed that the line coming out of the reservoir was clamped off with a pair of vise grips.  The fluid was also a little low.  I topped off the fluid, plugged the relay in and removed the vise grips from the line.  The pump motor now runs when the ignition is turned on but doesn't seem to build any pressure because it runs continually and the pedal never gets softer. 

Is this an indication of a ruptured acspoogeulator?  Why would the previous owner have clamped the line off?  I can find no leaks with the vise grips removed.

I used the article at NATO for troubleshooting.  http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/TEVES%20II%20ELECTRO-HYDRAULIC%20BRAKING%20SYSTEM%2087-88%20TCs.htm

Here are some pictures of the unplugged relay and the clamped line location.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
Well, the pump running continuously and not building pressure,
sure sounds like a bad acspoogeulator to me .
I hjve no idea why the vice grips would have been there
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
looks like they were there so it would build pressure.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
I just read your other post , If you have another acspoogeulator to try, it only takes about a minute to swap one out .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #4
Yeah, I have a whole extra power brake assembly the guy gave me.  He hadn't even opened it from whoever he bought it from on ebay.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #5
I think you got a great score then :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #6
I agree, a pretty good deal.  Do you think I can unscrew this acspoogeulator safely?  Like there shouldn't be any pressure in it, correct?  In either one for that matter.

Reply #7
There shouldn't be  any pressure in either one  , you should have no problem .

I had just replaced my acspoogeulator in my Mark VII when I sold it ..

I will try and remember where I got it , and post you a link
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #8
I remember reading back when I had my Supercoupe that a place called Prior sold them but its been a few years now.

Thanks for all your help.  I will post up results.

Reply #9
I swapped out the acspoogeulator balls but nothing changed.  The pump still just runs continually but doesn't seem to build pressure.  I let it run for about 45 seconds then pushed the pedal and it felt the same.  How long does it take to charge up a fully charge it up?  Maybe the pump is weak or another bad acspoogeulator?

Reply #10
Its should only take about 30 seconds to get pressure .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #11
Ok, so my pump is running when the ignition is on but it never stops, so I assume it never reaches the needed pressure because the brake pedal never gets softer.  So I guess acspoogeulator #2 is bad also, which sucks.

Now from my research, I can get an acspoogeulator from a TC, Mark 7, or SC and possible some Buicks.  Is this correct?

Reply #12
how are you sure its the acc. ball and not something in the pump or something else in the teves unit?
Since you have a whole other unit, why not swap it all out and see what happens?
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #13
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;332654
Ok, so my pump is running when the ignition is on but it never stops, so I assume it never reaches the needed pressure because the brake pedal never gets softer.  So I guess acspoogeulator #2 is bad also, which sucks.

Now from my research, I can get an acspoogeulator from a TC, Mark 7, or SC and possible some Buicks.  Is this correct?

Some Saabs, Mopar minivans , Cadillacs, Merker Scorpio and others the important thing is that the threaded nipples match up.

I do agree with BogusSVO you should try swapping out the other unit before buying any parts
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #14
Hi all.

The acspoogeulator is just a small fluid tank with an air (nitrogen actually) bladder inside to give the system some reserve pressure. When it goes bad you get a very quick cycle pump, and no assist after 1 pedal stroke. You lose capacity since you can't compress a liquid, thus the compressible bladder. The acspoogeulator doesn't do anything else and has no moving or mystical parts in it. (Works just like the water tank on a well system in a house.)

It does hold up to 2000psi when loaded, so just make sure to pump down any pedal assist and leave the key off when removing it and you'll be fine. The factory always said 50 pedal strokes, but experience showed that you just want a rock hard pedal.