Skip to main content
Topic: Calling all Teves brake system experts! (Read 4038 times) previous topic - next topic

Calling all Teves brake system experts!

Reply #16
Thanks for the info guys.

I went ahead and swapped out the whole system but 2 of the brake lines stripped, even with me using a flare nut wrench.  They were pretty corroded.  I am now waiting to see about picking up some used lines and will update this when its all back together.  I will say this though, that thing was a real pain to swap out.  I ended up taking off the upper intake (I needed to change oil pressure sender anyway,) alternator, and power steering pump and brackets.  The stuff inside the car was even worse!  I took the seat out to lay down but man those stupid nuts are in a  near impossible place to loosen.  I hope I never have to do this again!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #17
the inside is not as bad as you think, or should  say there is a simpler way...put the seat all the way back,drop the steering colum, then with a long (20-30 inch long) snake thu and remove the nuts
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #18
Hmm, maybe Ill do that when I bolt it back in.  Thanks.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #19
Ok, so I have a new problem.  I replaced the brake lines (Thanks HCOR!) and filled up the reservoir with fresh brake fluid.  I took off the back wheels to start the brake bleeding but when I had my assistant hold the pedal down after the acspoogeulator filled up (about 20 seconds) nothing came out when I opened the bleeder screw.  I tried several times on both times and not a drop of fluid came out of either side.  What am I doing wrong?

Reply #20
Not to add insult to injury, But I have a power booster, master cylinder and prop valve for an 86 Turbo Coupe if you decide to switch over to a simple system. I know it would be ABS but it is tried and true and works.
John

Reply #21
Thanks for the offer John.  I don't think I'm quite ready to give on this system quite yet, but I will keep it in mind. 

I think I have a proportioning valve problem.  It appears to have locked out the back brakes in a fail safe type mode.  I will do some more reading and update when I find something out.

Reply #22
there is nothing to block fluid going to the rear calipers in the prop valve...

fluid will run in and out and the only ele conn is for the light on the dash...

Reply #23
So far all the research I have done has shown me that if if a brake line fails the pressure difference in the prop valve will cause a piston in the valve to shift to one side, blocking off that line and retaining the ability to build pressure in the system.  Apparently some vehicles even have a small button to reset this piston.  Is this not the type of setup that is on our cars? 

Here is one of the threads I have found regarding this.
http://natomessageboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022545#000000

Reply #24
nope... it is not

when pressure is lost it flips the switch that turns on the red brake light on the dash...

I have a spare 87/88 TC combo valve....

lets see if I can walk you thu this.... you have 3 lines from the Teves unit, one goes to the driver front caliper...
the other 2 go to the combonation valve.

this is what you see when mounted in the car...
with the pressure switch pointing towards the rear of the car.

now when you look at the bottom....
the larger,1/4, fitting goes to the rear of the car (right in the pic) and the smaller,3/16, runs over to the the pass side brake caliper..
if you get a leak it will flip the switch on and turn on the red light  on the dash, so you know you have pressure loss.
if this happens you should be alble to slow down/stop on the driver side front brake.

on the front of the combo valve, there is a nut you will see, this is a valve that will move, to allow pressure from the rear brakes to be released, but still hold a slight amount so the calipes do not empty.

the nut removed, the spring and valve removed.. as you can see this one is nasty and the valve was not moving...

if this valve locs up/willl not move, it could be corroded, or have trash in it and fluid will not flow as it should
 since you are not getting fluid to the back, unscrew the nut and inspect.
there is a small O ring on the valve

Reply #25
Wow, thanks for those pics!  Thanks!  I took it apart and everything was nice and clean inside but I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the valve out of the body.  I tried getting fluid out of the rear with the valve out and I was able to get some.  I did lose that little washer (shot right out of my hand) when I was trying to put it back together though.  Is that going to make a difference?  I do have another valve coming but I'd like to have a good working spare. 

Thanks again!

Reply #26
looks like your missing the oring on your green valve...that washer is there so the spr0ng will not eat into the alum nut

if you look midway down the bore, towards the teves unit feed lines you will see a small hole, make sure that is not clogged

Reply #27
I just had a thought... think it maybe in the ABS ECU unit locking up that valve??

Reply #28
Hmm, I guess it could be that too huh?  Too much to go wrong with this  brake system!  I do have an extra ABS computer if it comes down to it though.  Thanks for the follow up thought, much appreciated!

Reply #29
make sure the ABS ECU numbers match, I heard once ( and I am not sure) that there is a diffrence between the 87 and the 88 ones and do not swap around