Skip to main content
Topic: Help!!! (Read 1366 times) previous topic - next topic

Help!!!

how do i get the bolt off of the crank shaft pulley? can only a airgun do it or do you guys know of a way to pinch down on the pulley to get the bolt turning with a socket?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Help!!!

Reply #1
While not  a recommended  procedure you can put a pipe on a half inch breaker bar and wedge it against the ground the tap the engine over with the key to break it loose .

I accept no responsibility for loss of life or limb .

Just make sure no body is in or around the engine compartment if you try this method .
Fox-less at the moment

Help!!!

Reply #2
have you tired it?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Help!!!

Reply #3
yes , it does work . but if it kicks out it kicks hard
Fox-less at the moment

Help!!!

Reply #4
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Help!!!

Reply #5
lol homer explains it perfectly. if he had an airgun to get the bolts off, today would have gone by easy but because we didnt have one.... well im upset to say the least...

Help!!!

Reply #6
You should be able to just take the starter out,or otherwise gain access to, the flywheel/flexplate so you can wedge a big screwdriver between the teeth and remove the crank bolt.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Help!!!

Reply #7
Why don;t you buy an electric Impact? A decent home use one isn;t that expensive, and can be picked up at sears, lowes or home depot. It will come in handy for other things as well.
John

Help!!!

Reply #8
I put a breaker bar on the socket,and smack the breaker bar with my 3 pound sledge.No issues.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Help!!!

Reply #9
I bought a 1/2"  electric impact gun for about $35 at harbor freight. It does what I need it to do around the shop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Help!!!

Reply #10
Well, if you have a manual tranny and a good clutch...it should be obvious. (block the car's wheels so ya don't run yourself over lol)

Won't work if you've got an auto though.

The other day I had to remove a crank pulley for Vinnie, the engine was out, and sitting on a shelf. Since I wanted the balancer for my own use, I had to get something to keep it from turning the rotating assembly.

So I took a second ratchet with a deep socket, and stuck the socket through a hole in the flywheel and turned the crank until the socket caught the block....of course this won't work with a transmission bolted on..:hick:

There's several ways to do this if you don't have an impact, but using said impact would by far be the easiest and simplest.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Help!!!

Reply #11
use the bump the starter method, I have done it for years, and 20 or so times,
works just fine

just be smart about it
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Help!!!

Reply #12
im going to bye an impact gun.... i tried a breaker bar. didnt work. it ended up coming off the wrench and hitting my buddy. it made for a good memory atleast lol. I got the belt on at the shop with an impact gun. WAY easier then trying to use a breaker bar... everything is rocking good! i set the A237 cam back to 2 degrees retard. it pulls alittle better up top. im thinking about going 4 degrees...

Help!!!

Reply #13
buy*

Help!!!

Reply #14
Thank you. This was turning into a pretty scary and dangerous thread. Always use the right tools for the job. You'll then be able to tell everyone yourself about how you fixed it. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook