Skip to main content
Topic: Headrest question... (Read 2300 times) previous topic - next topic

Headrest question...

does anyone have the procedure for removing the headrest without damaging the seats? pics would be helpful  :D  Thanks, Herb :hick:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Re: Headrest question...

Reply #1
Are the seats in or out of the car?

If they're already out, all you have to do is reach up inside the seat cover and find a little two sided clip along the headrest rail.  It's going to be a real PITA to rotate it to allow the head rest to slide out, but that's how I did it.  I don't have any pictures, sorry.  Just feel around in there and you'll probably feel what I'm talking about.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #2
Thanks, they are still in the car. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
Quote from: cougarman
Thanks, they are still in the car. :D

You could probably do it the same way while they're in the car, but it will probably be a little more difficult.

Reply #4
The headrests we build here (for Ford trucks) have a 'J' shaped clip on each side of the cover, and they loop together to pull against one another (imagine two "J's" laying on their side and the hook ends meet to form a clip). Kind of hard to explain. The foam and cover need to be compressed to allow slack in the assembly and then try to seperate the two clips.

Wish I could help with pictures, but maybe this made sense. It is a PITA, and hard on the fingers, but be patient and they should come apart. One of the clips usually has a ridge to keep it from slipping out without pressure.

We actually assemble them with a plastic bag inside and place a small vaccuum tube in to draw the air out of the foam, allowing the cover to slip over and snap the clips together.

Dave

Reply #5
I heard sliding in a flexible metal ruler down the headrest shaft works too.

I pulled out a head rest before by just pulling up hard on one.  In which the metal post just had one notch on one side.

Reply #6
Quote from: Rwolf

I pulled out a head rest before by just pulling up hard on one.  In which the metal post just had one notch on one side.

I tried doing that on my current car and yanked the whole head rest off of the rail.  Not a good idea to attempt the brute force on this one.  As for the metal ruler thing, I tried that, but the plastic piece broke that surrounds the rail.  It really sucks trying this without ever having removed one.

Reply #7
I don't have any pictures, sorry.
Somebody call?  :D

Here's a pic from a previous seat frame post, with just the clip shown. It's on the front side of the frame, and I assume the top and bottom poke through horizontal slots in the surrounding metal, and the bottom half falls into a notch in the bar, keeping it from coming all the way out.

Rotate? I guess it can be turned enough that the ends come out of the slots so it can't grab the notch in the bar as it's lifted. Looks like a b**** to do, though.

Flexible metal ruler/slim-jim? With the headrest part way down, it acts like a shoehorn, keeping the clip from going into the notch as it's lifted.

How about reaching up from inside/underneath with a stubby flat screwdriver, prying the bottom half of the clip out just enough to clear the notch?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #8
thanks guys, I'll try those ideas this weekend, let ya know the results. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #9
The headrest has a slot running across it's width near the bottom of it's shaft.  There is a spring clip attached to the seat frame that hooks into this slot when the headrest is raised, stopping it fron coming out.  The brute force might work at the risk of damage.  Going in from the bottom does work, with the aid of a screwdriver to hold the clip, but I think the "metal ruler " idea might work and be less invasive.  Just this  week I figured  this problem out (and found out how sharp the inside of the seat frame is - ouch) by reaching inside.  From this experience, I believe that a "slim jim" (i have two-don't ask) slid down the front of the headrest shaft until it bottoms out and then shove them both down together so that the spring lock is defeated by the slim jim.  Then raise only the headrest.  In theory, this could work.  If not, go inside the seat from the bottom.  In which case Amooset is right, take the seat out.
 :canada:

Reply #10
well, I got the headrests off, what a pita!! cut a strip off a metal mud flap to use as a slim jim kinda tool. Now I can install these!!! :banana:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #11
I thought you were trying to remove the cover...lots of information in my previous post that was USELESS !! Sorry..

Dave

Reply #12
Quote from: 87 3.8 CAT
I thought you were trying to remove the cover...lots of information in my previous post that was USELESS !! Sorry..

Dave

Hey, no problem man, appreciate all advice. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3