Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 swap comin' soon (Read 1112 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 swap comin' soon

well, got the Capri home, did some research on it, blah blah...
basically, the HO and 5 speed are going in the 'Bird, and soon.
I've been searching threads, and I'm a bit confused as to whether or not I have to repin any harnesses, or is that just for a mass air engine?
this HO is 86, and speed-density.
I know I'll have to use the Capri computer.
One other question; will the fuel pump be sufficient for a V8, or will I need to change it out, too?
Thanks
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Re: 5.0 swap comin' soon

Reply #1
Fuel pump will be suficent for a stock 5.0ho and your harness will be correct,you will not have to repin anything if your car is already a 5.0so.

Reply #2
my bad, I shoulda said that I have a V6 right now.
So I take it that I have a bit more to do, eh? lol
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #3
youll have a harness swap to do

personally, id recommend finding a wiring harness from a 5.0 bird or cougar the same year as yours, since itll be less work to make it fit in there and work properly
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
Agreed and you will need all of the tad tab sensors,vac balls etc,cross member,exhaust.
Lots of work man but well worth it when done.
I think eric has a section on this swap.

Reply #5
The '88 3.8 body harness is identical to the '88 5.0. Unfortunatly the '86-'87 5.0 Birds have a little different connectors, but could be used with some minor rewiring. (I recently discovered this when compairing my '88 with the '87 harness I grafted into the TC). So with a  '88 Tbird harness and the HO computer it will be a direct swap(assumin your bird is a '88).. No way you can use the Stang/Capri harness as it is unique to the '86 and is a totally different animal than the '87-up(had one, I know this for sure). Also you are gonna need the 5.0 Bird upper motor mount brackets, unless you feel like swapping the front crossmembers..

5.0 swap quick question

Reply #6
Well, now that things are finally coming together, I have a lead on a SO 5.0 out of an '88 Tbird Sport.
150 bucks for the motor and ecm to run it.
I have a floor-shift AOD, and all the matching parts for that, as well.
Will have the Stang k member about any day now, (waiting on a warmer day to go pull it) and new shocks, struts, and a brakeline.

Somebody local here told me there was 2 wires I had to change on the
harness, or the engine wouldn't run right when I got it in the car.
I hadn't heard about this yet, so was wondering before I done the conversion, I should see about it.
As it stands right now, the ONLY thing I'm physically lacking is the automatic console shift plate...I had mentioned something awhile back in a thread about maybe trading someone a 5 speed for an auto version, but nothing came of it...
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 swap comin' soon

Reply #7
I've got the shifter plate if you need it. The TC parts car I bought had a console from a Sport in the trunk, including the automatic shifter plate. I'm going to the cottage tomorrow (the car is stored there) so I'll dig it out and check its condition. I'd let it go cheap (say $10 plus shipping). If the item weighs under a pound shipping would be about $7 via airmail, so it could be that cheap. If it weighs over a pound shipping will be about $12
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

5.0 swap comin' soon

Reply #8
Thunderchicken, I've sent you a pm.
'98 Explorer 5.0

5.0 swap comin' soon

Reply #9
Fuel pump will be suficent for a stock 5.0ho and your harness will be correct,you will not have to repin anything if your car is already a 5.0so.

Even if you had a 5.0 SO I would change the pump out on an HO upgrade/swap.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

5.0 swap comin' soon

Reply #10
I'll reply to your PM here, Beau, because I can't attach pics to PM's. Here are the pics of the shifter plate. It's in good shape with both screw holes intact and neither pin broken. As you can see in the pic it has some stains - it may clean up (dish soap didn't remove them but Spray Nine might) or it may need to be painted
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣