Skip to main content
Topic: Creaking and sing won't go away (Read 2779 times) previous topic - next topic

Creaking and sing won't go away

Reply #30
do you maybe have internal wheel/tire balancers that have come loose and are bouncing around hitting your wheel rim inside the tire? Just a random anything goes kind of thought... I know mine can make a pretty good "dang" when a metal object hits them
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #31
While there is a balancer on the inside of the wheel, I found the problem. Maximum Motorsport's "stainless steel brake caliper sleeves" are apparently already worn inside enough to let the slider pin bang around rather than hold it tightly like the stock rubber sleeve. While I would like its benefits, I can't justify the racket that the caliper was making over a slight difference in braking quality. What a waste of $30 that was...

Instead of replacing the sleeves, I picked up some steel pistoned calipers as a replacement for a fairly low $50/pair since my drivers side caliper was also apparently having issues with its phenolic piston not pulling back enough. Just another NAPA reman part that I've had issues with (alternators, steer racks, and now a caliper...).

Front end is dead quiet now. I still need to bleed the brakes a bit more tomorrow as I ran out of daylight and bubbles were still flowing out but it's borderline brake lockup-able. I wish I could find my hand pump...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #32
wow my pictures never posted... sorry. I'll redo them tonight. I can't upload pictures from work.

Reply #33
I still have some rattling during light braking but I think it may be coming from the rear area as I KNOW there's nothing in the front that could possibly be rattling up front now and only during braking. Just driving the car today, the brakes stiffened up quite a bit and it stops quick so perhaps I'll just do a quick re-bleed in a week.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #34
good deal on gettin her to quite down!!
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #35
Yeah, it's nice to not have the thing rattling, squealing, clanking, and such as I'm going down the road on anything but the smoothest of pavements. Now if only the valve train was a little quieter...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #36
Pulled the rear brakes off and found two things. 1) the passenger side had one of the two wires on one of the pads up around the caliper. I bent it back and re-installation took care of the noise. 2) There were no anti-rattle clips. I can only get one clip on, not both. Is there a trick to installing these or are my pads just slightly too wide? I fought with one side for a good hour before I gave up and left it at one clip per side.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #37
Yeah...I've already got creaks coming back during driving and going over speed bumps. I'm pretty certain it's coming from the same area that went away when I reinstalled the kmember bolts but I'm afraid to tighten them much more as they don't seem overly thick. How far should I be taking the kmember and cross brace bolts down? Should I worry about overtorquing them with the smaller 400ft/lb impact at max or should I put the IR on them for a second? It isn't exactly easy to use a torque wrench when u9nder the car and going horizontally.

I've got the following two impact wrenches:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-impact-wrench-2623.html
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-2135QTIMAX-2-Inch-Titanium-Impactool/dp/B000WMR8H4
1988 Thunderbird Sport