Skip to main content
Topic: Project Black Panther: 1988 3.8L Cougar LS (Read 112543 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Black Panther: 1988 3.8L Cougar LS

Reply #420
So I looked around a bit and found another listing for the other side so I jumped right on them.  Thanks for posting where you found them!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #421
Nice work, and glad to hear you made some serious progress on the Cougar. I'm going to be pulling my intake soon to swap the lifters and cam. Got a few bits I'll be swapping. So now that this work is done on your car, what's next?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #422
Quote from: nbzimmer;379809

As far as headlights, you probably saw this already but there is one side available here.  He had several OEM sets of both so you might contact him if you are interested to see if he has any more of the other side.  I ordered a set from him and they showed up in two days and look great.

I did see that thread pop up a week or two ago, and as much as I would LOOOOVE to c00ch those up I just do not have the money right now.

Quote from: nbzimmer;379811
So I looked around a bit and found another listing for the other side so I jumped right on them.  Thanks for posting where you found them!

Glad I could help:)

Quote from: vinnietbird;379814
Nice work, and glad to hear you made some serious progress on the Cougar. I'm going to be pulling my intake soon to swap the lifters and cam. Got a few bits I'll be swapping. So now that this work is done on your car, what's next?

What's next will probably be trying to figure out what to do about my toe-in which is so far out you can see it if you look at the front of the car, and also doing something about my tires which are mostly bald and the one good one I have has a huge bubble in the tread that I do not trust.

Btw, for anyone that likes to keep track of this project, and all progress that has, or has yet to be made, the very first post if you don't remember, has a few well made lists of the various steps of this project, and I also update regularly with completions. I like to have it for myself to keep track as well;)

also I finally got that stubborn ass rear seatbelt bolt out also. Here's how:

And then on top of things, here's the best part of all....

.....I got a tag on it and ITS LEGAL!!! Still waiting on my custom plate to come in but its got a temp plate on it now and I'm taking this thing everywhere. Man I forgot how much fun this car is. Unfortunately I used most of my tax return on the $400 licensing fees so now I'm $1200 behind on truck payments. This means that work on the car is going to have to come to a screeching halt while I collect some overtime up to get back on track with my truck.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #423
so I've been doing some more no cost "restoring" activities. First I got rid of a bunch of noise in the car from where my spare tire was not bolted to the side of the trunk like it's supposed to be, that made a big difference. And I also fixed my trunk my moving the torsion bars a slot up so now the trunk opens all on it's own:D I'm so excited about that lol. Now I can actually push the button and watch the trunk open all the way up, instead of having to go pick it up! Oh and I didn't have to do the plunger handle thing or whatever... I just used a set of vice grips.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #424
Mine have been tightened but it didn't help. My spoiler is too heavy. I even have to prop it up at car shows so it'll stay open.

Reply #425
Be careful mentioning spoilers in a thread that Vinnie pays attention to:giggle:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #426
That's okay, we don't have to agree on everything.

Reply #427
I heard that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #428
that's why I had to take mine off... because of the extra weight, and Vinnie....lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #429
Hehehe! Nope not going to do it's on mine to stay. lol! That was one of the first things I did to it. I had mentioned in another thread about how if for some reason I decided to take the louvers off it just wouldn't look right to me, it would be the same with the spoiler. But of course I like the way my Bird looks so nothings comming off. I may be adding some things this year though.

Reply #430
It is all about personal taste....that's approved by me first.LOL.LOL.

Reply #431
I think I might be exempt since I've had it for so long. lol!! We're talking almost 22 years.

Reply #432
There is no statute of limitations.

Reply #433
So my tire decided to blow on me lastnight. I've had a little bit of a bubble in my tire for a while now, nothing to really worry about, but yesterday it decided to prominate itself and I had a bubble in the interior sidewall of my tire the size of a freakin baseball. Didn't have a jack and it was 7:00 on a saturday night so there was nowhere to go except to AutoZone to buy a freakin jack:punchballs:. Anyway it blew before I got there, scared the  out of me but it was just the sidewall on the outside of the belts so the tire survived and was actually holding air but leaking slowly. I decided to swap to the spare anyway just to be safe. Now I can't drive it cause there was nowhere to get a tire today:toilet:

Found out after I removed the tire that the reason it got worse, because the tire (which was oversized to begin with) had been rubbing against my strut and was wearing the sidewall out, and it finally just came to a head.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #434
Now you have a new jack.LOL. I never use a donut. Always carry a full size spare. In the end, the car is still coming along, and progress is being made. Now you get a new tire as well. Nice.