Skip to main content
Topic: Heh. (The Big Reveal Is Here). (Read 10792 times) previous topic - next topic

Heh. (The Big Reveal Is Here).

Reply #90
Jerry,the black mirrors look better.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #91
Quote from: vinnietbird;327096
Jerry,the black mirrors look better.

Thanks, but after putting the new wheels on....I don't think anyone would have noticed the mirrors...;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #92
Even with the silver turbines,the black mirrors look better.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #93
Quote from: daminc;327092
Like this?

Oh yea, just like that.  Ive got a set of Bird mirrors I will be swapping for my chrome ones.  :evilgrin:

Will the chrome handle look out of place?  That is my concern.
Mike

Reply #94
No. The chrome handle fits well with the chrome trim. In my own opinion, with the chrome mirrors ( on a very dark or black cars) bulk too much chrome in a small area. The black mirrors ( as on Jerry's car) break it up and help everything "flow".

Reply #95
Ooooh, me likey! You have just convinced me to ditch my chrome ones for black ones too!!
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #96
It's just an opinion.I had chrome mirrors on my blue T-Bird for a while,and they looked,to me, like they were out of place.

Reply #97
I agree... Some cars look good with chrome. most don't for some reason. I think the vert will be ok. It has them now and it looks good with all the extra chrome that it has on it. I hope after I change the color, they still look good. If not, I'll paint the old mirrors and sell the NOS mirrors for a profit next year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #98
I got my mirrors last week and have a question for you guys - is the compression-seal fluff supposed to be solid or break apart easily? I can still see it doing its job when compressed up against the body of the car but one of mine is broken into multiple pieces and will be hard to get mounted. I think that one will just need lots of silicone or something as the seal is in pretty poor shape. Did it just bake in a warehouse and turn to a crumbly mess?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #99
New or not,they're still over 20 years old.

Reply #100
Quote from: vinnietbird;327148
It's just an opinion.I had chrome mirrors on my blue T-Bird for a while,and they looked,to me, like they were out of place.

I think the chrome mirrors look the best on dark colored cars like black, dark blue and cherry or burgandy. I am not a fan of all black mirrors because they disappear and make the car look thin or like it is missing something that gives the car an illusional "span"... That is why I opted for white mirror caps which is atop the black mirror housings on my 08 Mustang. I do like the lower black bit of the mirror housing contrasting with the white upper.

I also think the Mark VII flag mirrors are nice compared to the standard issue integrated ones that come with our cars. Something could move me to do another swap but the Mark VII mirrors have Lincoln badge logos on them and I am afraid they might seem out of place, much like Mustang pony center caps on wheels fitted to a Tbird.

Body colored mirrors work best on lighter and brighter colors. When I had my 1989 Tbird, I had the black mirrors painted the same sapphire blue metallic as the body. This was when I did my 1996-97 nose swap. I really liked the illusional span so much as a result, especially since that car was soooo slab sided compared to earlier cars.

Reply #101
Are those black ones of the 87 or 88 black version.  My knowlege of them is that the 87's are a flat black and the 88's are a glossy black.

Reply #102
if you want glossy you gotta paint them.

Reply #103
Quote from: irv;328813
if you want glossy you gotta paint them.

I don't think ours are painted are they irv?  Just glossy plastic.

Reply #104
I've seen a satin and flat,never a glossy.I just grabbed a cloth and some billet aluminum polish and started to work.Glossy black plastic mirrors in short order,and no paint or paint chips to ever worry about.