Skip to main content
Topic: wastegate questions (Read 696 times) previous topic - next topic

wastegate questions

can i put a wastegate on the charge piping or does it have to be off the header?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

wastegate questions

Reply #1
if its on the charge pipe then i would think it would starve the engine or turbo of air. But i wold use it in the exhaust flow.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

wastegate questions

Reply #2
A wastegate is not only to limit boost, but also to keep the turbine from overspeeding.  The only place for one is in the exhaust system, between the engine and the turbine.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

wastegate questions

Reply #3
alright thank you for your help. i appreciate it
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.