Skip to main content
Topic: possible tfi falure again....SOLVED!!! Somewhat.. New development inside. (Read 3277 times) previous topic - next topic

possible tfi falure again....SOLVED!!! Somewhat.. New development inside.

Reply #15
im positive it hasent because if it did there would be a puppies of belt missing and i have found none. and i took the one tfi i had put on had it tested and it did fail. So i had it warenteed and now its a new one on there that works. Plus last night comming home from work the car was running 45 mph at 2000rpm and if were to try to go faster the car would buck like crazy. Almost like it was running out of spark. i wonder if the coil wire i have on there now (used) could be the culprit.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #16
My old 85 TC slipped on tooth on the timing belt but it was not that bad.  It was just down on power and had bad fuel mileage.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #17
You won't make boost if the exhaust can't flow, Maybe a clogged cat. Just throwing that out there. did you try running codes?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #18
I had a similar problem with my 88 turbocoupe.I installed accel wires and a brass terminal cap.When I would take off from a light,the car would accelerate hard then buck and fall flat on its face.I went to Ford and purchased the stock Motorcraft wires,and never had a problem again,even at 21 psi!

Reply #19
ok i changed plug wires (again) fuel filter, And still bucking and no acceleration. I do have pix of how it is timed right now but i have to upload them. And as far as cats..... i don't have any. and the cam marks line right up. So no jumping a tooth. ok now heres the pix....

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #20
did you clear the computer, and check for a vac leak? The line that goes to the cruise servo might be damaged ( if you have one) it rubs on the frame through the fender wall
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #21
cleared all codes but i didn't check that vac line... Will do when daylight breaks too dark now. before i got 2 codes code 81 and 83. 83 was the one im confused on. 81 i know is the ircm that has all the wires messed up to. I should see if anyone has a good engine harness for the tc.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #22
Quote from: Cougar8775;319340
ok i changed plug wires (again) fuel filter, And still bucking and no acceleration. I do have pix of how it is timed right now but i have to upload them. And as far as cats..... i don't have any. and the cam marks line right up. So no jumping a tooth. ok now heres the pix....

I could be wrong i even went out and looked at my TC ,But the rotor shouldn't it be pointing towards the intake bolt in the lower right corner of the lower pic to be TDC on #1 cyl. But ur dizzy does look like its turned about 45* out

Reply #23
do you mean the body of the dizzy or the rotor button? if so could you get pics so i can compare yours to mine so i can get mine reset?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #24
did you gap your plugs to .032-.036?  also check your TPS voltage by probing the green wire for power and the black one for ground, time the engine to 10* with the spout disconnected, pull the vacuum line off of the FPR and see if it smells of gas..  if so its bad.

Reply #25
give me a few ill take some pics and try to post for ya

Reply #26
tps is brand new but i can check it when i put a fresh bat in my meter. Plus i have to do a final time on it but i need to get it running right first ya know. and i can check that vac line in the am.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #27
had similar problems a while back but I cant remember what I did to fix it.  are you running autolite 764 plugs?  they seem to work the best in the TC's  and also the motorcraft plug wires

Reply #28
voltage on the TPS needs to be between .97v and .99v  also check to make sure your intercooler couplers are tight

Reply #29
well i know the couplers are tight cuz i had the ic off to change the plug wires. and yes im running the 764's.

Got that fox rash again!