Skip to main content
Topic: Ive often wondered,, (brake fluid) (Read 2786 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ive often wondered,, (brake fluid)

Reply #15
You're actually cleaning your engine with that bit of tranny fluid in there, so goes the legend. I've heard of people running a quart of tranny fluid in with the oil to de-sludge the engine. Whether it works I dunno, but I don't think it does any harm...

Brake fluid gets very, very hot, but not in the reservoir. It gets hot in the calipers and wheel cylinders. The lines are too thin and too far away to transfer the heat to the M/C reservoir. Just try touching a caliper after some serious driving (you will burn yourself, so be warned). Of course you'll never see it boil in the reservoir - that's the whole point of brake fluid. It doesn't boil (at least at normal brake operating temperatures). When the fluid does boil it will create "air" in the lines (it's not really air, it's brake fluid vapour) which will cause a loss of braking power because the vapour compresses. When everything cools down the vapour usually re-condenses into fluid and your pedal comes back.

Tranny fluid gets very, very hot too, and it can withstand a whole helluva lot of heat. Just take a look at a torque converter that's been turned blue with heat. That blue is from the fluid heating it up. Of course the fluid does get destroyed when it gets that hot (which is why trannies use coolers), but it does get very hot.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #16
Here's a post from over at FTE in the Inline Six section:

Well, to start off, I bought this truck a year and a half ago. Ran fine, but when I would get up to temp, it had a harsh lifter ticking. I have run Motorcraft 15-w40 Powerstroke oil since I got it. The ticking kept getting louder, only audible from one or two lifters. I was advised to run ATF through the engine for a couple of oil changes by a friend, but over time, the ticking only got worse, and now all of them are rattling. As of late, since this winter, I have been annoyed by low power output, pinging under load, and an intense "Diesel" rattle when engine is running at cruising speeds, and when I level off for my next shift. I try to keep this time of sustained engine speed to a minimum, but I need to fix it. It will "load up" if let idle for a couple of minutes. What I am wondering is if the lifters are all bad, and I am not getting proper valve lift, not allowing the engine to breathe correctly, or if the cam is going flat. I am almost out of John Deere Diesel school, and don't have enough money to put lifters, pushrods, and rocker assemblies in, let alone a cam. I was also wondering what the valve lift specs on an '85 300 are. Any advice would be helpful.

Reply #17
I've run ATF in several engines on occasion, Usually to clean them out.  ATF is supposed to be an excellent lubricant and has built in detergents.  In my old Beetle, before a rebuild, I drained all the oil and ran it for an hour with just ATF.  That engine was spotless afterward when I tore it apart.  In fact it looked like I had hot tanked it!  I also know an old Buick guy who always runs a pint of ATF in his oil.  His cars run like tops.  My 67 Impala had a lifter noise that dissappeared after the old ATF treatment as well.  Just don't overdo it.  Except in the case of my Bug that was getting a rebuild anyway.  On occasion I also put a 1/2 pint of ATF in my gas tanks to clean the combustion chambers/valves  -  Never had a problem yet, Just something I learned from the old guys.

I am not suggesting anybody try this.... I'm  just sharing what I do to my own stuff.
 :canada:

Reply #18
Quote from: blakct
On occasion I also put a 1/2 pint of ATF in my gas tanks to clean the combustion chambers/valves  -  Never had a problem yet, Just something I learned from the old guys.

Them grey beards know a thing or two! i've done the same thing before  to clean engines and injectors, etc. works great in my experience.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC