Skip to main content
Topic: Ive often wondered,, (brake fluid) (Read 2785 times) previous topic - next topic

Ive often wondered,, (brake fluid)

Since Dextron III can be fairly universal and could be used as power steering pump fluid,,(mind you ive used tranny fluid for ps fluid going on several years now)
why could'nt the brake system be drained and blown out of all fluid and dextron III used?  Its not corrosive and we all know how much of a plus that is.

Re: Ive often wondered,, (brake fluid)

Reply #1
I dunno that it could stand up to the temp requirements of brake fluid.

Reply #2
I was intrigued at this question and tried to do some research on it. None of the searches I did came up with a comparison of hydraulic fluids to silicon brake fluids. Only differences I saw were that silicon brake fluid absorbs moisture. Why? No clue. I would think a fluid that doesnt would be desireable.

Silicon brake fluid has a very light viscosity. It allows the seals of a brake cylinder or caliper to retract when pressure is released. Thus allowing the brake pad to move away from the braking surface and reduce wear.

I also believe that no matter the temperature, silicon brake fluid maintains its viscosity. Dexron III would lose viscosity the warmer it gets.

Not much help, but certainly an interesting question. One way to look at it is: If it was a good idea, someone would have done it already. But I tend to stick with what works. :toilet:

Reply #3
You'd boil that ATF right out of the system......
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
Quote from: armyguy298
Only differences I saw were that silicon brake fluid absorbs moisture. Why? No clue. I would think a fluid that doesnt would be desireable.

Silicone (DOT 5) fluid does not absorb moisture. Glycol (DOT3,4.5.1) based fluid does. DOT 5's boiling point does not decrease as moisture enters the system. The downside is that moisture can gather at low points and corrode the system. Also, if moisture enters at the caliper seals, that fluid now has a boiling point of 212 deg, much lower than DOT 3,4,5.1 fluid with moisture contamination. DOT 5 fluid also has poor compressibility characteristics that change with temperature and foaming issues. For a daily driver, none of this really matters, but DOT 5 does not belong in vehicles going to OT or HPDEs.

Reply #5
Here's a real big reason to never put Dexron III (or any other transmission or hydraulic fluid) into your brake system: You will completely, utterly and royally bone your complete brake system. Master cyclinder, proportioning valve, calipers, wheel cylinders and rubber hoses - every one of 'em would be screwed ON CONTACT!

The rubber that is in a brake system is a special kind of rubber that is not compatible with petroleum based oils.  Tranny fluid will soak into the rubber components, causing them to swell to several times their normal size. This would cause all of your components to seize up, and your hoses to swell shut. You would not even be able to get the cap back on the master cylinder once you took it off. And there is no repairing any of it. All of it would have to go, and your steel lines would have to be thoroughly flushed.

Never, ever let any petroleum-based (or synthetic petroleum-based) fluids anywhere near your brake system!!!!!
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Agreed!

Reply #7
Much like the morons who accidently put used motor oil (or something else) in, to top up the MC.

Reply #8
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Never, ever let any petroleum-based (or synthetic petroleum-based) fluids anywhere near your brake system!!!!!
So how bad of a thing is it that my tranny line blew and soaked my brake hoses a few days ago? should I expect to have to replace them soon or what? (if you look closely you can see the sheared off sway bar mount on the drivers frame  :disappoin ) this was two days after I replaced the 4-piece drivers coil, been spending a lot of time under there lately :yuck:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #9
Quote from: tbirdscott
So how bad of a thing is it that my tranny line blew and soaked my brake hoses a few days ago? should I expect to have to replace them soon or what? (if you look closely you can see the sheared off sway bar mount on the drivers frame :disappoin ) this was two days after I replaced the 4-piece drivers coil, been spending a lot of time under there lately :yuck:

Oil on the outside, while not particularly good, is not particularly bad either. The outside of a brake line is made from a different rubber than the inside
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
good ta know! thanks
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #11
Ill buy into the whole swelling of seals and stuff cause that makes sense.

the issue about the fluid getting too hot,, makes me wonder... Its not like the tranny fluid never gets hot cause it does and infact requires routing to the radiator for a cooldown.

Reply #12
Quote from: jcassity
Ill buy into the whole swelling of seals and stuff cause that makes sense.

the issue about the fluid getting too hot,, makes me wonder... Its not like the tranny fluid never gets hot cause it does and infact requires routing to the radiator for a cooldown.

The seal swelling is the major factor...didn't think about it while I was at work.

The trans fluid never really gets as hot as a brake system can..esp when driven hard.... The std petrolium fluids aren't made to work at much over 230* for very long.  Brake fluid on track cars can get to 500*+...I've seen guyshiznit the track with uprated pads and such and forget to uprate the fluid to a high-temp version...then they wonder where their brakes go after several hot laps.

Anyway...yeah, use brake fluid for brakes  :hick:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #13
Tranny fluid must be the ketchup of fluids.  Use it on about anything.  What next?  Replace your coolant with it?  :giggle:
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #14
i still dont understand how brake fluid gets hot for prolonged times.  Sure the caliper gets hot and transfers the heat but ive never ever noticed my brake fluid resivoir boiling over or my brake lines being hot to the touch, or the fluid in the resivoir being hot either  :giggle:

btw,, i needed about 3/4 of a qt of oil the other day and all i had was tranny fluid.  I dumped that in there to get the oil to the full mark.  been like that for a few hundered miles so far and actually ran quieter.  Not suggesting anyone do this,, i just dont really care what i do to experiment on my "own" stuff.