Skip to main content
Topic: Dome light swap out question (Read 3448 times) previous topic - next topic

Dome light swap out question

Reply #15
Quote from: jkirchman;318212
So, Vinnie, you've got me thinking that installing this light might just be a job for a professional.  If I ship my car to you, will you install it for me and send it back?  :D

No problem.Once the car gets here,is there anything you want me to do to it before I ship it back?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #16
Black with light blue stripe wire for the dome light.
Light green with yellow stripe wire for map lights.
Look in there and see what you have.

Reply #17
Quote from: CougarGal;318204
That one caught my eye because it matches the interior of my Cougar ;-)      Also, the pullapart in Nashville is all the way on the other side of town from where we live.  It takes me almost an hour to get over there so I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid the two-hour trip ;-)

If you can  wait I am going to the Knoxville Pullapart soon,  I can grab one for you and ship it to you . It would be way less expensive than that ebay one :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #18
Quote from: hypostang;318250
If you can  wait I am going to the Knoxville Pullapart soon,  I can grab one for you and ship it to you . It would be way less expensive than that ebay one :D

What day are you going... maybe I'll meet you there.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #19
Quote from: ProTouring442;318270
What day are you going... maybe I'll meet you there.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

I will Pm you when I know for sure :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #20
Quote from: softtouch;318249
Black with light blue stripe wire for the dome light.
Light green with yellow stripe wire for map lights.
Look in there and see what you have.

THANKS!!  This will really help us out a lot!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Reply #21
Quote from: hypostang;318250

Seems you're always helping me and my Cat out and I thank you again!!  I just can't make up my mind which one would be best to change to, the correct years chrome one or the newer one that matches my interior that I found on ebay ;-(      I know, I know...only a female would have a hard time making up her mind about something this little ;-)
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Reply #22
Our cars are either correct or they're not.Once you start changing things,the "correct" part of the equation is out the door.You may as well modify and enjoy it. With the Sport,I like a lot of "factory appearing" looks to different aspects of the car,but it's by no means "correct".Get the newer light and enjoy the better glow.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #23
The chrome one while pretty, is woefully inadequate in the illumination department :D
 I'll let you decide which one you want and  I will hook you up with whatever you chose.
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #24
Quote from: hypostang;318272
I will Pm you when I know for sure :D

Sounds good.... Thank you sir!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #25
Quote from: vinnietbird;318308
Our cars are either correct or they're not.Once you start changing things,the "correct" part of the equation is out the door.You may as well modify and enjoy it. With the Sport,I like a lot of "factory appearing" looks to different aspects of the car,but it's by no means "correct".Get the newer light and enjoy the better glow.

I agree. Besides, 95% of our cars are not even close to being rare, so have at it. I am! :D

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Reply #26
Well,I think our cars are getting prety rare.....they just aren't worth anything....but,I have seen prices starting to rise slowly.Not that it matters,I'm keeping the Sport.

Reply #27
I've done this swap.  I "borrowed" the dome light from my 86 tbird and installed it in the 82 Cougar.  The issue is with the door shut the map lights won't work unless you run a second power source or by rotating the headlight switch.  The dome with map lights require two power sources.

One hot all the time for the map lights and the other switching off with the doors shut.

I just jumpered the hot for the dome to the maps as I don't care if I can turn on the maps while driving.  I just rotate the headlight switch to turn on while driving.

Basically I didn't want the hassle of running a hot wire to the map lights.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #28
Quote from: vinnietbird;318365
Well,I think our cars are getting prety rare.....they just aren't worth anything....but,I have seen prices starting to rise slowly.Not that it matters,I'm keeping the Sport.

Nah. Supercharged '57 Thunderbirds are rare. Factory '61 Impala Super Sports are rare. '63 Z06 Corvettes are rare. asc/McLaren convertibles are rare. Our cars? Our cars are a dime a dozen.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill