Skip to main content
Topic: Dome light swap out question (Read 3447 times) previous topic - next topic

Dome light swap out question

As several nice folks on these forums know, I'm wanting to change out the dome light in my '86 XR7 Turbo Cougar.  It came with the low-end dome light that only has the single lens and turns on when the doors are opened or with the little wheel in the dash ;-(  I want to replace it with one of the dome lights from a Turbo Coupe that has the map lights on the sides that you can turn on with the little switches on the dome light itself.  Now....here are my questions:

1.  Will any wiring need to be changed to make a dome light with the map lights work in my car and;

2.  Instead of the light from a TC of similar years as my car, does anyone know if I could use this one instead and what it might involve to make it work:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180341140746&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks once again for all your wonderful insight, knowledge and advice!!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Reply #1
Here you go.

All I had to do to install it was trim two of the plastic "pegs" on the back side down for clearance.Other than that,direct swapIt took about 2 minutes to swap them out.A lot more light through the dome and map lights.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
I can answer question # 2 
 Yes you can use that light , That is exactly like the one in my car excepting the color
 As far as wiring  I do not know for sure if the cars came pre-wired for the map lights .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #3
That price seems too high.I got mine from a Crown Vic cop car for $2.00. I need to grab a few and start stocking them away for these occasions.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
What Vinnie said about the price is 100% correct I got mine from Pullapart  for less than $5
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
Just a couple of screws.The fastener holes for the "bug eye" lights are the same as ours.

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;318185
That price seems too high.I got mine from a Crown Vic cop car for $2.00. I need to grab a few and start stocking them away for these occasions.

These dome lamps are abundant in salvage yards on numerous 1990's era Fords for real cheap... I got mine from a Taurus. Waiting for the day I redo the headliner and reinstall it.

Reply #7
There's also a different style used in the 1994-up Cougars/T-Birds...it's essentially a plastic version of the metal ones used on our cars:

Either one will bolt right up, as mentioned, with some minor tpuppies possible on the underside. No big deal.

Reply #8
Are both power  supply wires already in the car if it doesn't have map lights?
  I had an 86 Mustang and had to run a constant power wire up to the roof or the map lights would not work unless the door was open or the dash switch was on , But the mustang never came with map lights from the factory so it may be different :hick:
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #9
Quote from: hypostang;318198
Are both power  supply wires already in the car if it doesn't have map lights?
  I had an 86 Mustang and had to run a constant power wire up to the roof or the map lights would not work unless the door was open or the dash switch was on , But the mustang never came with map lights from the factory so it may be different :hick:

That's the same question that my husband just asked!!

Does anyone have an answer?
Owned 22 years.

Reply #10
Quote from: vinnietbird;318185

That one caught my eye because it matches the interior of my Cougar ;-)      Also, the pullapart in Nashville is all the way on the other side of town from where we live.  It takes me almost an hour to get over there so I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid the two-hour trip ;-)
Owned 22 years.

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats;318195
There's also a different style used in the 1994-up Cougars/T-Birds...it's essentially a plastic version of the metal ones used on our cars:

Either one will bolt right up, as mentioned, with some minor tpuppies possible on the underside. No big deal.

Got mine from a 97......no tpuppies was needed....

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #12
The wires are right where they need to be in the car.Nothing on the car changes,needs to be added or modified.Just trim the plastic tabs on the back (you'll know them when you see them,they will keep the light from seating flat against the headliner),and screw in the light.Direct swap.No wiring,not much thinking involved.Snip....snip...fasten....fasten....enjoy. As I said,takes just a few minutes....literally.Don't over think it.

Reply #13
So, Vinnie, you've got me thinking that installing this light might just be a job for a professional.  If I ship my car to you, will you install it for me and send it back?  :D
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;318210
The wires are right where they need to be in the car.Nothing on the car changes,needs to be added or modified.Just trim the plastic tabs on the back (you'll know them when you see them,they will keep the light from seating flat against the headliner),and screw in the light.Direct swap.No wiring,not much thinking involved.Snip....snip...fasten....fasten....enjoy. As I said,takes just a few minutes....literally.Don't over think it.

So a hot wire is already there that will let the maps lights work even though my Cat doesn't have map lights now?  COOL!
Owned 22 years.