Skip to main content
Topic: *update* - center console panel question - *update* (Read 22534 times) previous topic - next topic

*update* - center console panel question - *update*

Reply #120
Quote from: hypostang;336430
I just re-read this whole thread and I'm not sure if anyone made note of this little  tid- bit  the 85/86 window switches work opposite of  the 87/88 switches 
 which is to say  "up is down  and down is up":D

I dont know if that will be an issue for anyone who is signed up

Your right, and that is so annoying after you drive an 87 for 24 years and try to put the windows down in an 85.
I'm flipping mine so they go the right way
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #121
Quote from: daminc;336490
Your right, and that is so annoying after you drive an 87 for 24 years and try to put the windows down in an 85.
I'm flipping mine so they go the right way

I always flip them around also!!:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #122
Quote from: hypostang;336430
I just re-read this whole thread and I'm not sure if anyone made note of this little  tid- bit  the 85/86 window switches work opposite of  the 87/88 switches 
 which is to say  "up is down  and down is up":D

I didn't know that.  Or if I did, I promptly forgot it.  In any case, an overlay would fix that. 

Thanks for pointing that out.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #123
Blackout, can't PM you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #124
Quote from: vinnietbird;336366
Are the letters etched from the bottom or the top?

Is the mirror switch slightly countersunk like the originals?

Pic of the overlays?

Are the overlays durable?

Let me know......
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #125
I'm still not sure what I agreed to buy. You need to glue this to the console? I am confused.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #126
Due to my confusion,I'm wondering the following......

1. It will need to be glued or use fasteners...right?

2. If the words are etched in from the back,and you paint it black,will you be able to see the letters well?

3. If you paint the back of it black,(because you don't want to leave it clear),how can the lighting work if the letters are painted over (I doubt they can be masked over at that tiny size)?

4.I'm wondering if it's painted from behind,and the adhesive goes on from behind,would the adhesive interfere with the painted surface and pull the paint from the surface of the panel?

5. How flexible is the panel for making it adhere to the curved surface of the console panel and be able to hold well?

6.With a vinyl overlay,would the letter line up with the panel well enough to make lights work through the overlay,and the overlay thick enough that the light doesn't shine through anywhere else?

Just my questions in one place This thread is long and I'm trying to tie it all up together.My apologies if I'm making it more complictated than it needs to be.Thanks a lot.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #127
I'm mainly concerned with the fastening and the bendability of the panel. Actually, a laminated black/clear plastic would be the ultimate fix for the painting and lighted text.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #128
im so confused my brain hurts........

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #129
First, sorry for the confusion. 

Vinnie,
Are the letters etched from the bottom or the top?
Etching was done from the bottom.  The top is smooth

Is the mirror switch slightly countersunk like the originals?
The mirror switch fits in the same place.  The panel is cut to fit around the switch

Pic of the overlays?
The overlays are taking longer than expected so don't have a pic yet.  They are being converted from the CAD files, so will match the factory panel.  The only difference is that the letting font will be correct for the car.

Are the overlays durable?
Yes, all-weather outdoor material.

1. It will need to be glued or use fasteners...right?
Yes

2. If the words are etched in from the back,and you paint it black,will you be able to see the letters well?
You'd need to keep the color out of the etching.  That's actually pretty easy if you're careful.

3. If you paint the back of it black,(because you don't want to leave it clear),how can the lighting work if the letters are painted over (I doubt they can be masked over at that tiny size)?
See #2.  Masking would be tedious.

4.I'm wondering if it's painted from behind,and the adhesive goes on from behind,would the adhesive interfere with the painted surface and pull the paint from the surface of the panel?
Probably, that's why I suggested black glue.  Paint around all the etching, put glue everywhere else.

5. How flexible is the panel for making it adhere to the curved surface of the console panel and be able to hold well?
The panel will flex more than necessary to fit the console.  You should use something similar in strength to what Ford used on the original panel.

6.With a vinyl overlay,would the letter line up with the panel well enough to make lights work through the overlay,and the overlay thick enough that the light doesn't shine through anywhere else?
IF you want to use an overlay, I'd suggest using a clear glue to attach the panel, but yes, they will line up.  The black for the overlay is definitely opaque.

Just my questions in one place This thread is long and I'm trying to tie it all up together.My apologies if I'm making it more complictated than it needs to be.Thanks a lot.
Actually the confusion is my fault.  There's more than one way to do this and trying to explain all the choices at once leads to overload.

Kitz Kat,
You need to glue this to the console?
You need to attach it.  Glue would be best in most cases. 

daminc, 
I'm mainly concerned with the fastening and the bendability of the panel. Actually, a laminated black/clear plastic would be the ultimate fix for the painting and lighted text.
Agreed.  FYI, the material is .030 Lexan

MY83T,
im so confused my brain hurts........
Sorry.  It's not as difficult as I made it out to be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #130
If I understand this... the best and easiest option to get the text to light.. would be
1. securing the clear panel with lighting and proper tpuppies of the console to let light to all the text.

2. securing using adhesive or fasteners.

3. then applying an overlay. where any fasteners or adhesive would be hidden by the overlay.

That would probably be the less time consuming and trouble free install, with no paint to worry about on the etched panel
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #131
Quote from: daminc;336594
If I understand this... the best and easiest option to get the text to light.. would be
1. securing the clear panel with lighting and proper tpuppies of the console to let light to all the text.

2. securing using adhesive or fasteners.

3. then applying an overlay. where any fasteners or adhesive would be hidden by the overlay.

That would probably be the less time consuming and trouble free install, with no paint to worry about on the etched panel

Yes, that's it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #132
Phew... then to answer your PM...I would need overlays to match the panels too. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #133
Quote from: daminc;336612
Phew... then to answer your PM...I would need overlays to match the panels too. ;)

Yes,me too.......overlay.

Reply #134
X3
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +