Skip to main content
Topic: *update* - center console panel question - *update* (Read 22751 times) previous topic - next topic

the good, the bad, and the ugly

Reply #105
Looked at the prototype today (see below).  It was difficult to get a pic that means anything, but it looks good.  I saw all the CAD templates and after discussing, he's going to change a few things like letter spacing, but overall the prototype looks and fits great.  That's the good.

The bad is we don't have a font that's as close as I'd like.  They're using MasterCam(?) and AutoCad, IIRC.  If someone has a solution, please contact me asap.  The second bad is we don't have an early mirror control so cutting that hole is a bit dicey.

The ugly is I saw a company's panel overlay, and am getting a quote.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*update* - center console panel question - *update*

Reply #106
Just keep us up to date. I'm in no real hurry,and am just glad you're working on this issue.Thanks a lot.I appreciate it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #107
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostile

This typeface should be very close (I spent a lot of years writing software for a local printing company).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #108
Quote from: Quietleaf;334723
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostile

thank you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #109
Console panels
Will get the panels tomorrow, post prices, and arrange delivery.  The panels are machined from the underside with the idea that they could be painted, eliminating the need for a decal or other treatment.  It's difficult to see in the picture but the machine shop did a great job, and I think that will work very well.  If you don't want paint, there are a couple of options.

Overlays
Spoke with the overlay company. They can do it, and it will look nice, but the setup charge is a killer.  Each version would have it's own setup charge, which is very different than what the CNC shop did for us.  IMO, the only version with a high enough quantity to justify consideration is the later 2 pwr seat version (+ ~$50/ea).  If you're interested in getting that done, PM me.

Overlays II
A less expensive and less durable way to do it would be getting an outdoor graphic version, more or less a decal for the top of the panel.  That would ~$10/ea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #110
Updates?
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #111
Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in getting an update posted. 

First, the cost.  I was expecting them to give me a price based on the amount of work, but instead they charged a single unit price based on the cheapest one, $40/ea. 

Now for the delays.

I've been experimenting with different things on one of my backups - forming, mounting, coloring, etc.    I don't have an example of a permanent installation because I'm still working on other aspects of my console.  You can see the test mule below.  It's been through a lot of experimentation so please don't be put off by the appearance.  The pieces themselves are very nice, much nicer than pictures indicate.

I hope this won't be confusing as there are two basic questions to answer:
Installation - glue/screws? 
Backlit - yes/no? 

I had hoped to be able to heat form the cross-section's curve.  No go on that.  The solution is cold forming + glue or screws.  To shape mine, I used a towel, a dowel and a couple of bricks.  The other issue is the lettering font.  Note that I scuffed the backside of this one, the others are smooth and transparent.

Backlit - no:
If you don't care about it being backlit, you could do whatever.  It would be easy to fill the engraving with a color then slop glue on the underside and mount it.  Put decals or stencil lettering and clearcoat.  You could also countersink some screws into the top then smooth it with putty, etc.

Backlit + Glue:
Paint/dye around the etching, use similar colored glue to mount.  You might want to modify the base to allow more light to hit the panel.  Or you could keep it clear on the underside and put a decal on top

Backlit + screws:
You would probably want to go with the overlay.

Decals -
The machine shop had trouble exporting the files, but they were finally able to do that.  A local place is working on overlays with  Eurostile lettering.  Price will be approximately $10/ea, I'll know by the end of the week.

If you have a technical question, please post it here, otherwise you can PM me.

** edit ** I tried sending a PM to everyone that said they were interested.  If you didn't get one, I either missed you (apologies) or your inbox is full.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #112
Are the letters etched from the bottom or the top?

Is the mirror switch slightly countersunk like the originals?

Pic of the overlays?

Are the overlays durable?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #113
would the overlays be made so the text would be transparent or cut to allow light from the clear panel to shine through?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #114
The overlay is directly from the CAD file, so should match exactly.  Conversion and font correction should be complete by tomorrow.  The guy doing it did a test sample, black and white are the two colors (see below).

The black is opaque.  The white is translucent.

IMO, the only real choices are 100% or clear (no color).  It's difficult to see in the pic, but the intermediate percentages are too granular.  I put a single blue-white LED (~2V) underneath the 100% white, and the light was strong enough that I could see the bulb.  Just about any strong light would require some to diffusion.  So, for sure, the white can be backlit.  There is one problem - because each color is a separate step, the alignment isn't 100% perfect. 

If you go with "clear", you could scuff the top surface of the panel before putting the overlay on it (like I did to the bottom of the test piece).  That will give a daytime 'white' color, diffuse backlighting, and keep people from seeing into your console.

Black with either clear or white would look the closest to stock, but I *think* most any color combo is possible.  Certainly primary colors are available, eg red panel w/ yellow lettering if you're so inclined.:barf: 

When I check out the proofs, he can tell me about color availability.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #115
So one could actually get a black with the text in the green to match our dash illumination.
I suppose a green bulb would be easier though..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #116
I have to say I am completely confused as to exactly waht is going on here.
 IIRC Vinnie redid a panel a while back and it looked fantastic.

Is the purpose of these just to have back lighting ?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #117
Quote from: hypostang;336408
I have to say I am completely confused as to exactly waht is going on here.
 IIRC Vinnie redid a panel a while back and it looked fantastic.

Is the purpose of these just to have back lighting ?

Three reasons.

1) A lot of console panels are torn up, bent etc., and need to be replaced.  What Vinnie did isn't possible without a suitable replacement part.  BTW, Vinnie did a great job on his, and if you want something completely stock appearing, that's the way to go.  Unless you can find an NOS panel (I'm not selling mine).

2) Take a closer look at the test mule above. Can you tell me what the options are for that particular year?

3) I wanted back lighting. Specifically, I wanted something to easily mark the mirror and window switches at night, something that would match the rest of the interior.  With this panel, the lettering and such will be lit of course, but also vertical surfaces of the switch cutouts will 'glow' when backlit.  Should be a nice effect.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #118
Ok , I get it now .
 The panel above  looks like power windows, mirrors and either power antenna , convertible top or sunroof
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #119
I just re-read this whole thread and I'm not sure if anyone made note of this little  tid- bit  the 85/86 window switches work opposite of  the 87/88 switches 
 which is to say  "up is down  and down is up":D

I dont know if that will be an issue for anyone who is signed up
Fox-less at the moment