Skip to main content
Topic: Is it time to replace the rust pr0ne MN-12? (Read 3554 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it time to replace the rust pr0ne MN-12?

I started going over my 95 today to find out how much rust "fixing" I had to do from this past winter. I found out that the passenger door skin has started to separate from the door frame along the bottom of the door. Well that's not totally right. The door skin is only held to the door frame along the bottom in 2 places. The rest of the metal between the weather striping and door skin is gone as it just rusted away. I can wiggle the door bottom while the door is closed :mullet:

I also found that a rust bubble on the driver's side rocker panel is bad as well. It looks like if I start to poke it and clean it out that I'm going to have at least a 6" long hole.

This is starting to make me want to get a new car. Well not new but new to me used. I'd buy a new car but I'd rather put my money in the bank instead of giving it to the bank as interest. :D

The 95 has just rolled 84,000 miles. It has a 3.8 and actually runs good. I don't have the skills to start cutting metal and making patch panels. The underside is pretty solid with only some minor surface rust in a couple of spots on the floor pans. The frame rails are solid.

Do you guys think it's time to look for something else or ride this puppy till it rusts away or pops a head gasket? I'm undecided because of the mileage. If it had over 100,000 miles on it the car would be on it's way out. BTW if I get another car it will more than likely be a rust free low milage MN-12, because I like driving a T-bird and I don't want to kill a Fox body with rust:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Sadly, rust is why I sold my SC.  It was too far gone.  Open your hood and look behind the shock towers where they run down next to the inner fender.  I bet you will find rust there.  I want to find another SC some day....just sans rust.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #2
I took some pics for fun.

Driver's side rust issues.

Passenger side door. As you can see the metal between the weather strip and door skin has rusted away.

Some under hood shock tower shots.

Driver's side.

Passenger side.

The structural rust is minimal surface stuff. The cosmetic rust is what bugs me. That door bottom really wiggles.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Lou , It's time to find yourself another mn-12 soon friend. :poke:

Reply #4
That's not bad enough to get rid of. I've seen worse.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Slap some fiberglass over the rusty areas and drive it till it croaks.
Quick, cheap, easy. It's just a DD after all.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;316868
That's not bad enough to get rid of. I've seen worse.

Quote from: tbirdscott;316875
Slap some fiberglass over the rusty areas and drive it till it croaks.
Quick, cheap, easy. It's just a DD after all.

Scott

I'm thinking about just getting some color match spray paint and bondo and "fixing" it. I think that's what I'll do and keep my eye out for a low mileage V8 MN-12. If I ever find one then I'll have a new dd.

Reply #7
Dont buy the Bondo, get the fiberglass it will last longer plus its a little more waterproof and has a picture of a fox-bird on it or at least it used too.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #8
Wow, I thought PA was the rust belt.  I felt bad about getting rid of my 96 Bird due to minor rocker rot.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #9
Heres what I use. Comes in short or long strand.

The old can I have in the garage has a 4-eyed bird on it. Seems its GMs turn now.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #10
Look at it this way, if you sell it now you might get something out of it.  If you drive it until it rusts away or the head gasket blows you aren't going to get anything out of it.  I would strongly consider selling it and finding something a little less rusty. 

How 'bout a Lincoln?  I think it would be sweet to have a Mark VIII as a daily.

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #12
The problem with that SC is that it'a half a country away;) It is blue though, which I like.

I've looked for Mark VIIIs but I can't seem to find one with less than 100K. I'm also a bit iffy on the air suspension.

Reply #13
How about a Fusion? We bought an 06 with very low miles last year. It has the v6 with 221hp, it runs great! I like everything about it, the way it looks, runs, and it gets good milage.

Reply #14
I prefer RWD cars. I have nothing against FWD I just like RWD better. Plus just because a car is old doesn't mean that it's not reliable. My 95 runs fine it's just the rust is starting to get to the body. My 95 has never left me stranded and has always started. It's been a great DD thus far.