Skip to main content
Topic: What is it -- Where'd it originate from? (Read 932 times) previous topic - next topic

What is it -- Where'd it originate from?

I just replaced gas filters on two different vehicles --
84 Cougar and 94 Caravan.

After taking filters off, I dumped them out of curiosity to see if any tank rust might come out.  Didn't get any rust, but did get a fine black granular material almost like graphite out of both vehicle filters.  It is Not magnetic as ran a magnet over it.  As I said the grains are very fine and when rubbed between fingers melt away like graphite.

Care to enlighten what this is and where is originates from?

Reply #2
88turbo:

You may be right, but material does not feel like or look like dirt.

Now that I think of it, could it actually be graphite from the motor brushes??
I wouldn't think the motor would come into contact with gas but??

Reply #3
Belive it or not, the gas runs right through the motor.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #4
So what is it, dirt, brush graphite, other?

Reply #5
its dirt. gas these days is very dirty. Thats why you do need a filter to clean it.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #6
OK -- that's two for dirt!

FWIW,

I know the H20 tank contamination issue (i.e. H2O came from gas station tank in  "Most" Cases is Wrong).  Most stations today monitor for water.  In fact they do it remotely, via satellite, and if there is a hint of water, the pumps are shut off, and the issue resolved.  Saves a lot of lawsuit expense.

Logic says that the gas goes from the refinery through a filter into a tanker truck.
Tanker truck should be a closed system unless the truck driver is pouring dirt in or opening the lid during a dust storm, which seems unlikely.
Gas is pumped from tanker truck into gas station holding tank.
From what I've seen there is a direct connection made between the tanker truck and the fill tube
at the service station.  It also seems reasonable that the gas station pump has a filter sock, just like the one in our tank to keep from pumping any possible dirt from the service station tank to the vehicle tank.

This just leaves dirt of a certain micron in size that may go through any sock filter.

Would be interesting to know the micro maximum capability of a sock filter versus the
micro maximum of an standard on the rail vehicle filter?

David

Reply #7
well i can tell you. each individual pump has its own filters, one for regular, one for premium,  that look something like a cars oil filter just a little bigger. and they get clogged up all the time. if only one pump at a station is pumping slow, change the filter, its back to normal. so dirt does get in the system. just my 2 cents
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #8
Interesting.that with all the filtration going on, we still end up with dirt in our tank.
Obviously, the micron size of the particles is less than what the filter can catch.

Consider this thread closed, and thanks to everyone for their input.