Skip to main content
Topic: Talk about getting taken for a ride...... (Read 2085 times) previous topic - next topic

Talk about getting taken for a ride......

Reply #15
Quote from: DVP;316170
That truck hauls tons and tons, whats pushing one more?

A danger to the public.

Reply #16
I dont know who scares me worse, female or commercial drivers.

except the fed-ex gal that delivers to work, she can shift my gears anytime.

Hypostang has it right about riding two wheels, and it should apply to cars as well. always assume the other cars on the road have no clue of your presence.

People get WAAAY too comfortable behind the wheel these days, they figure they have two hands and two eyes and only need one to drive tons of steel at a mile a minute.

When the drive gets routine, its time for me to find a new path. Thats just me though, i take a different way to work and home every day.
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -
1987 Honda Accord - 140mph wonder? Rally ready..... K.I.A. at WOT due to massive head failure. Still had the best paint-job EVER...
1998 Suzuki Sidekick 4D -
1969 Falcon Futura w/ Sports Coupe option (now go try and find that? And if you do tell me where it is!!)

The Cougar will never be for sale, Only up for trade on a 68,69 Falcon 2D.

Reply #17
That's the second comment about women drivers in this thread. It was the MAN who almost killed someone. It was a female, so it must have been her fault, somehow. Some cliché's die hard.

Reply #18
Quote from: oldraven;316610
That's the second comment about women drivers in this thread. It was the MAN who almost killed someone. It was a female, so it must have been her fault, somehow. Some cliché's die hard.

Goes the other way too. Its the truckers fault because he is bigger.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #19
No, because he was pushing her down the highway, not the other way around. This isn't me blanket blaming all accidents involving Truckers on the truckers. I used to work for a Heavy Hauler outfit, and heard many a horror story of other idiots on the highway. I'm just all for laying blame where it belongs, and leave gender out of it.

Reply #20
I don't see trucks doin 90 + , but cars yeh.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #21
The truck I drive is a 2006 daycab Mack with 488 hp and 1700 ft lbs of torque. From empty to about 10,000 lbs I start out in 4th gear without any difference, over 10,000 two about 25,000 I start out in 3rd gear again with no major ride difference. Max load is about 43,000 which brings total weight to 80,000 lbs. It could easily push a car and you wouldent even notice a thing. I have never done this, but in 10 years I have been cut off twice to where I didn't notice the car right away. 1 time it was a Geo storm and the only reson I saw it was because of a yellow happy ball on the antenna. The problem is I try to keep a maximum distance between me and the car infront of me and everybody on the road thinks it's a open invitation. Anyway I also drive a car and I'm very aware of my soroundings. When I see a blinker for some one to change lanes I yeild, I know how to match my speed to merge onto a roadway and I know how to navigate through a traffic circle. I would never try to sneek around a truck or pull in front of a truck unless I can make eye contact with driver. Also if I'm behind a truck I always make sure I can see his mirrors. If you can't see him he can't see you. I personaly feel that everybody should. Have to take the commercial general knowledge test so they will get a small glimpse of what is going on in that cab. I have taken my wife, daughter and friends for rides with me and there driving style has changed because of it. In a few minutes I'll post a pic from the drivers seat.

Also the knowledge test is 30 multiple choice questions.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #22
Quote from: Clintd;316762
The truck I drive is a 2006 daycab Mack with 488 hp and 1700 ft lbs of torque. From empty to about 10,000 lbs I start out in 4th gear without any difference, over 10,000 two about 25,000 I start out in 3rd gear again with no major ride difference. Max load is about 43,000 which brings total weight to 80,000 lbs. It could easily push a car and you wouldent even notice a thing. I have never done this, but in 10 years I have been cut off twice to where I didn't notice the car right away. 1 time it was a Geo storm and the only reson I saw it was because of a yellow happy ball on the antenna. The problem is I try to keep a maximum distance between me and the car infront of me and everybody on the road thinks it's a open invitation. Anyway I also drive a car and I'm very aware of my soroundings. When I see a blinker for some one to change lanes I yeild, I know how to match my speed to merge onto a roadway and I know how to navigate through a traffic circle. I would never try to sneek around a truck or pull in front of a truck unless I can make eye contact with driver. Also if I'm behind a truck I always make sure I can see his mirrors. If you can't see him he can't see you. I personaly feel that everybody should. Have to take the commercial general knowledge test so they will get a small glimpse of what is going on in that cab. I have taken my wife, daughter and friends for rides with me and there driving style has changed because of it. In a few minutes I'll post a pic from the drivers seat.

Also the knowledge test is 30 multiple choice questions.

It's a little different world in a cab.You should be on the the side of a road trying to get a trucker back on the road. my yellow beacon and four ways are an invitation to run me over. I see people doing stupid shiznit every day, and not even knowing it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #23
Clintd, you're not seeing my point at all. Again, I'm not saying truck drivers are always to blame, or even usually, and I'm absolutely with you, as far as careless drivers on the road are concerned. But when you screw up, you own up to it, and you don't go throwing around the opposing vehicle's size and the driver's gender as excuses for why you screwed up. You said it yourself, you've had close calls, but never did do this. Every person who's driven on a highway has had close calls. You don't get away with a traffic accident because your car was bigger and 'I didn't see him'. I'm sure most collisions with motorcycles where the driver makes that claim aren't coming from the mouths of commercial drivers, but other regular license holders who just weren't paying 'enough' attention to the vehicles around them. It doesn't matter what you're driving. It's how you drive it.

Reply #24
In new jersey if you change a lane it's you're fault. If the guy that pulled in front of me didn't have that stupid antenna ball and I hit him it would have been his fault. Say you are sitting at a light and some sucide idiot decides to crawl infront of your car out of your view. Now when the light turns green and you run him over are you going to plead guilty to a vehicler homiced?

I'm not saying what's right or wrong, I'm just voicing my opinon from my point of view.

Reply #25
I have a thought ......

We all have no idea what happened or how the car got in front of the truck , we all agree that the truck possibly couldn't see the car and possibly couldn't feel the car there due to many factors  .
So instead of trying to point blame or say what kind of punishment should be doled out....
 How bout we all agree that it was a pretty wild video to watch and leave it at that :D

Just my :2c:
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #26
Agreed!

On the east cost there is a lot of bad drivers. Dosent matter if it's a tractor trailer or a rickshaw.