Skip to main content
Topic: Is this only scary to me?? (Read 3000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Is this only scary to me??

Reply #15
u dunno...

technically the body/chassis of your car is worth nothing to maybe 1500 bucks. it also doesnt cost you anything monthly other than maintanance, gas and insurance if its insured for collision. consider the 400+ plus insurance/full coverage a month you would have wrapped up in a cobra just to pay for it. thats some decent quan to have kickin around for whatever. any mod you do to the tbird would swap easilly into say a nice fox/notch mustang chassis if somebody potatochiped your tbird. so at least most of the money you spent on mods isnt lost.

on the other hand consider the mods you do have and your runnin 12s. the cobra could be in the 11s almost by accident. plus its a shagy car. and i dont care what anybody says. i know everyone has mustangs but not everybodys got an 03-04 cobra. in fact, i have only seen THREE 03/04 cobras in my area since they were released. one of them was for sale at a local dealership and was a convertable. if you totaled the cobra it would cost alot more to buy it back from the insurance company. the engine and tranny would be an easy 7-8 gs though....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #16
Id like to buy a house, but it helps to know where your going to live lol.

lol...right
im not gonna kid myself or anyone for that matter. if i wasnt getting married, having kids and saving for a house (which i feel obligated to now for those reasons) id be perfectly happy, in fact delighted, living in my apartment with or without my gf and a cobra...id love to be able to show up my uncle and his vette...its gonna be a long time befor that happnes with the tbird...

~John~

Reply #17
Ronnie you have to realize we are in the period that no one(but us), gives a shiznit about these cars. Untill they they reach antique status and have some collectiability(usually 25 years), the aftermarket ain't gonna do squat for them. How do yo think I kept the old Cobra Jet in such good shape??? It surely wasn't getting parts at the dealer. I did many a junk yard trips looking for nice used parts.. Also parted 5-6 '69 Cobras and Torinos(two were 428 cars) to get parts I wanted/needed...

Reply #18
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Ronnie you have to realize we are in the period that no one(but us), gives a shiznit about these cars. Untill they they reach antique status and have some collectiability(usually 25 years), the aftermarket ain't gonna do squat for them. How do yo think I kept the old Cobra Jet in such good shape??? It surely wasn't getting parts at the dealer. I did many a junk yard trips looking for nice used parts.. Also parted 5-6 '69 Cobras and Torinos(two were 428 cars) to get parts I wanted/needed...

Yeah, Tom your right, its just frustrating to see similar cars such as the fox mustangs have an abundance of parts and we hardly have any. I also now know why that Cobra Jet sits in the garage 99% of the time lol, Id be scared to drive it lol.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #19
-usually the measure of life of parts from ford depend upon different variables.
1) when cars are new,  they are required to provide parts for as long as the vehicle COULD be under warranty.  i.e. 3yrs-36,000 miles for the base, but you can buy various length EXTENDED warranties..
2) after the cars are out of warranty length(usually 5-10 yrs), alot of parts are not ever sold or sold very little (i.e. trim parts) so ford discontinues them in order to save the money of production, pkging, shipping, storing, etc...
3)parts that sell regular (i.e. crash parts, emissions, etc.) are kept around until their life span has run its course.  that means as long as they can keep making money on the part, and the cost of production , pkg, shipping, etc.  doesnt exceed their (fords) project profit margin, they will usually keep it availiable.
4) once they exceed the monies in #3, OR the part comes up for contract renewal with the supplier, then they(ford) uses their magic ball to see if the projection of sales, and current demand for the part is enough to renew or just to go ahead and phase it out of production.
#4 is what happened to me when i wanted to get some new turbo coupe door mldgs ('87s).  they were not obsolete at the time('99) but the were staying on back order forever.  i finally got to talk to the purchaser who was responsible for the part and he said that they were still using the same supplier for these that started them in '87 and that the stamping machines that punched them out was wore out from making so many and none of the ones they were turning out could meet quality control, and it was not cost effective(see #4)to update the macinery.case closed.
i had 10 of them on EMERGENCY order! (which means got to have, no exception!)
hope this might shed a little light on the parts situation.
if you have a good dealer you know well, there is about 4 different parts locators out there for dealersto use that could help you find some of those obsolete parts..... :2c:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #20
Yeah, Tom your right, its just frustrating to see similar cars such as the fox mustangs have an abundance of parts and we hardly have any.

yeah man but for me, thats part of the appeal. it keeps more people away from these cars, keeps them somewhat "less vanilla" should i say compared to the mustang but performance wise is as easilly moded...it realy is tough dealing with the plastic detailing/body parts/lights but i can deal. i doubt ill even have the car by the time its "impossible" to find restorable parts. personally, i think a stock turbo coupe looks far better than any stock mustang or one with all kinds of money dumped into the body for that mater. (xcept for maybe a nice clean notch back). i actually feel privalaged to have something a little different. 

id still get the cobra though ;)

~John~