Skip to main content
Topic: resto parts (Read 2542 times) previous topic - next topic

resto parts

Seen this on nato board.........

"I have gotten a firm to make new decals for the center console plates (single and dual power seat) as well as the door lock covers and switches. Problem is, they are prohibitively expensive to design but once done, will be cheap to make. Retail will be $29.95 for the center console or door lock set or $55 for both. Initialy just the original black w/white lettering will be available, but I can have carbon fiber/white and turned aluminum (match the dash face)/black made at no additional costs. I will be taking a huge gamble that my small company just cannot afford if they don't sell. So, who wants some? Anybody willing to make pre-orders? Please let me know your opinions (as well as your wallets opinion)."
------------------
Michael Pinto
http://www.aerobirdmotorsports.com

sounds like a cool product. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Re: resto parts

Reply #1
Krap, that was something I was considering doing (getting new decals made and selling them) someday.

Reply #2
Keep in mind that offer is for the high-series (a.k.a. Turbo Coupe) door panels only, and also for those cars with a console. That would still leave 75% or more of the Cougar owners out of luck. There is still a market...

Reply #3
I would like to find the trim pieces that go around my door handle for my 88 non-TC.  I wish someone would start making reproductions or something.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
Ah, the infamous 'door cups'...yeah, those are teh suck. That is definitely one piece that should be reproduced, except out of rubber so they won't crack anymore. ;)

Reply #5
That guy is always open to suggestions about new parts, so if we had enough demand he would probably look into getting them. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
I'd be interested in a dual-power seat center console plate, as long as it looks stock ;) Mine came out of a T/C (no factory alarm light in the center) at the yard and it's a little bent up (it was originally in *terrible* shape, but once I sed off the discolored clearcoat, taped over the white parts with super-thin model tape, repainted with flat black and applied a matte clear-coat it was much improved -- still not perfect, though). It was my only option at the time when I decided to upgrade from single to dual power seats.

PART IDEA #1

A really neat part that I always wanted was a way to add rear reading lights for cars that don't have the round lights in the plastic along the sides (those of you who have them know what I mean--the ones that just love to shed chrome). I got the light switch for the console from a donor car, but don't have suitable lights. Anyhow, I was thinking that if the little coat-hanger hooks were a little longer and had super-bright white LEDs underneath (maybe with a lens to focus them, unless an inverted-cone LED is bright enough) then it would be an easy swap. Of course, something like this might be really hard to make unless you know someone who can make injection-molded plastic and rubberized parts.

PART IDEA #2

Does anyone else have "rear-view-mirror plaque"? You know, where the adhesive underneath seeps into the glass so you can hardly see through it? A replacement mirror is easy if that's all you're replacing, but it's been impossible to find one that can also mount the autodim sensor (it has a different bracket). A replacement mirror for those of us with autodim would be nice (bonus: one that can electronically dim itself like the one in my Explorer). (bigger bonus: one that has a temperature or compass display in the corner).

PART IDEA #3

How about door-lock buttons that have a green LED inside so you can see them at night (like the ones in my Explorer)? How about cruise control panels like this (also like my Explorer)?

PART IDEA #4

How about a lighter panel (the blank one--no system sentry) that already has the cutout for the Land Cruiser cupholder (I don't need this since I was the first one to do the mod) :giggle: You could also supply the cupholder...People with a floor shifter, system sentry, or the full-size ashtray CANNOT do this mod.

PART IDEA #5

The base cluster doesn't have a digital voltmeter. However, if you get the small U-shaped panel cutout from a T/C that contains the ride control switches, you can get a green DATEL LED meter and make a voltmeter out of it (you have to make a really simple circuit for the meter). A kit for all this would make life easier for people with the base cluster (meter, circuit, black plastic backing, and a way to mount it all). Once again I don't need this, but it's nice to be able to look at it and immediately know the voltage). (Bonus: one with a button that lets you toggle between volts and RPMs).

PART IDEA #6

A company called Shindy sells digital tachometers that are fully programmable and can be mounted anywhere. I have one of these, and they can be handy for those of us with the base cluster. Look for the Shindy Daytona digital tachometer to learn more...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #7
Quote from: Quietleaf

PART IDEA #2
 A replacement mirror for those of us with autodim would be nice (bonus: one that can electronically dim itself like the one in my Explorer). (bigger bonus: one that has a temperature or compass display in the corner).

I was just thinking about this the other day while driving the monster-in-law's Tahoe.

Reply #8
Quietleaf, those are all great ideas...but they're almost all custom mods that anyone can do now. We really need factory/stock style parts before any of those. There are dozens of parts that are breaking on these cars and have no equivalent in another vehicle. They'd have to get priority. The full console panel would have to be one though; that's something that's always been needed. Ford revised the panel in 1987-ish to hold the aluminum plate better and it really worked. That's the template we'd need to make new ones, along with the aluminum plates that have the correct lettering.

BTW, I went aftermarket with the autodim mirror with compass and temperature reading in the convertible. It was not cheap--roughly $220--but it's way cool. There's quite a bit of wiring involved, plus putting the temp sensor up in the grille. Not a task for the do-it-yourselfer in most cases. I had the stereo shop install it since they were selling it. I also have the autodim headlight sensor under the mirror too...they were able to make it work with the new mirror's mount. Looks factory.

Reply #9
Those center console decals would be great. The paint on my plate is chipping away and I don't want to try to cover the lettering to repaint it. The door lock decals would be great as well. Used to be able to clearly read Lock and Unlock. My Lock is starting to wear and the Unlock is completely gone. What about the plastic sliders for the floor shifter? Mine are cracked and broken as are the ones I see in junkyards.