Skip to main content
Topic: 2800 stall converter? (Read 4811 times) previous topic - next topic

2800 stall converter?

So my AOD is getting rebuilt in two weeks (yippee :D) and I can't wait. It's getting the following done:

Hardened 1 piece non lock-up input shaft
High rev governor
7 tooth speedo drive gear
Rialto heavy duty clutches
A custom valve body with the epoxy mod.

Here's the odd part: The converter is going to be a 2800 rpm stall. I'm going to run a Precision Industries Stallion converter and they recommended a 2800 stall converter based on the engine, rear gear, and vehicle weight (remember it has every option but a sun roof and is a 3500lb fatty).

My question is has anyone driven one of these cars with a 2800 stall converter? I know it should be fine on the street but I'm wondering if I'm going to be burning the  out of the rear tires with too much throttle:hick: I'm just wondering how it behaves in traffic and normal driving.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

2800 stall converter?

Reply #1
I have a FRP 3000 stall in my MN12 and it's fine on the street. My car weighs 3,840.

Just make sure you run a real good trans cooler, especially if you are getting rid of the direct drive.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

2800 stall converter?

Reply #2
Daaaaaaamn that's gonna be a nice tranny haha. Especially the epoxy mod that's sick. Are you doing the electronic switch for OD thing? Or just leaving it up to keeping your foot down? lol

The converter that someone on clickclick hooked me up with, was purported to be about 2400 rpm like I said I wanted...but ended up being 2800-3000. :rollin: Let me tell you the thing is a BLAAAAST. Now...youll have to kinda get used to the "rubbery" feel of it at say 40 mph and 2000 ish rpm, it'll rev up more without moving forward accordingly if you just ease into the pedal. Think of it like going to a go-kart place at an amusp00get park, the ones with the little 9 horsepower honda power equipment engines. They have those centrifugal clutches on em and half the time they're beat to shiznit. Kiiiinda like that, just not *as* bad.

But of course, when you're at a dead stop, and you firewall it, don't expect to get traction anytime soon. ;) That 300 lb-ft of torque is a lotta fun when its applied immediately. Best thing ever....go through an EZ-Pass/Fast Lane/whatever you guys have, so you have to slow down to 5-10 mph, then STOMP it. Make sure your head is against the headrest!!!!

And yes, get a good cooler. Get one of the black stacked plate ones, make sure it's say a foot sqaure in surface area. I have two of em in series they're 3/4 that big if that. Im a paranoid freak, and having one didn't cool it enough for me. I had a fluke temp meter on it for awhile and it would always slowly climb to 180-190. I know that's not destruction but I want a solid 160 all the time lol.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

2800 stall converter?

Reply #3
So if I drive it like a granny I won't destroy my $500 Firehawks any time soon.:hick:

So it will just rev a bit with low throttle pressure? So if I'm not paying attention to the tach I really won't notice it?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

2800 stall converter?

Reply #4
Yup it's not gonna fly right up to the stall speed but enough that you notice it, because of course with the stock stall it almost feels like there is a direct engagement. Any RPM increase at all makes the car move right forward with it, even just nudging the gas. It took me a week or two to get fully used to it, and then the car seems perfectly normal. The other thing is that you won't have lock-up, as do (don't) I. That's the only time you're actually going to get weirded out a little by it. In OD, you'll pretty much be able to ease the gas down until the engine almost reaches stall or maybe it will downshift before that point but youll notice with that gear ratio, instead of it holding the engine back...the slippage of the converter will just let the engine rev up a few hundred rpm more. Of course, once you come close to the stall speed it wont anymore and if you're going fast enough that it's above, it pretty much doesn't slip at all from there on up.

What's also fun is creepin' along and just stabbing the gas abrputly on and off, yanking the front end and torquing the whole car lol. Makes me feel like it's some built-up muscle car. :hick:

That's gonna be a whole new car to drive. I'm sure the place isn't driving the pressure through the roof like I set my shift kit up but I bet once or twice on the right kind of smooth road you'll chirp the tires into 2nd...it gets addicting. ;):evilgrin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

2800 stall converter?

Reply #5
You will be fine, but definably use a trans cooler, non lock up generates more heat. You do mean non lock up converter don't you?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

2800 stall converter?

Reply #6
Don't fear the stall speed.  Don't fear a big cooler either.  I'm switching to an even larger one.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

2800 stall converter?

Reply #7
I havent heard of the epoxy mod, anyone have a link or info on it??
Mike

2800 stall converter?

Reply #8
http://www.insanemustangs.com/forums/transmission-talk/12377-aod-epoxy-mod.html

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/showthread.php?2817-AOD-1-2-3-4-Shift-Pattern-(EPOXY-Mod)

Honestly it's not something *I* would want personally. Yes a manual 2nd gear with a guarantee of no chance of smoking your tranny is nice...but you lose the ability to lock out OD. Once you reach a speed that OD will engage in, the instant you let off the gas it will go into OD. Now...if I had a wider 2" super-duper kevlar or whatever OD band and bumped-up OD servo pressure, I'd be less worried but the constant OD-3rd/3rd-OD shifting I would be worried about given the likely wear and tear on the OD band. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. I am a little bit (little!?) of a paranoid freak about that kinda thing.

If that's the shift pattern you'd like thunderjet, by all means. :D Some people love the epoxy mod. Many have done it. Comes down to personal preference in the end, like anything.

2800 stall converter?

Reply #9
The trans will have a 2" OD band and a A+ billet servo so I'm not worried about killing it;)

Yes I'm running a big ass trans cooler. The one the guy is putting in (I'm letting him do it because I got a good deal) is about 12"x17".

Yes I'm running a non-lock up torque converter:D

I'm excited about this trans. It's only 11 days till I take the car in. It's not like I'm counting or anything.

2800 stall converter?

Reply #10
Niiiiiiice :D Sounds like you got the works. Hope the roads are clean when you get it back!

2800 stall converter?

Reply #11
The roads are clear now thanks to all the rain we've had over the last week:D

2800 stall converter?

Reply #12
I've been running AOD with the epoxy mod for over 10 years(did it myself), have never missed the OD lock out... With 3:73s, it's a non-issue...

2800 stall converter?

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;313862
I've been running AOD with the epoxy mod for over 10 years(did it myself), have never missed the OD lock out... With 3:73s, it's a non-issue...

That's what I figured. Since I also have 3.73 gears it shouldn't really hunt much if at all between 3rd and OD.

2800 stall converter?

Reply #14
I've driven mine through the mountains of western VA and WV(I-64), it never once shifted down out of overdrive and I run a lockup converter... I've traveled old US 60 from Charleston WV to Lewisburg and yeah it shifted down on some of those turns you have to slow to 20mph, but it never hunted...